Senior Protection Manager
Job Title/position Name
Senior Protection Manager
Protection Rule of Law
Ukhiya, Cox's bazar, Bangladesh; with travel
Protection Team leader
Till 31st December 2021 (with possibility of extension subject to funding, program needs and performance of incumbent)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Hundreds of thousands of people have fled Myanmar for Bangladesh. Communities in Cox’s Bazar have rapidly and generously responded, along with local, national and international non-government organizations. While these organizations are highly skilled and experienced, the scale of the influx is overwhelming, and the complexities of this emergency are unlike those previously known in Bangladesh.
Purpose of this role:
Under the technical direction of the Protection and Rule of law Coordinator, and direct supervision of Protection Team Leader, the Senior Protection Manager (SPM) will be responsible to oversee the quality implementation of protection and rule of law programming, as well as capacity building to the staff and support in coordination of the Protection Working Groups. The SPM will mainly oversee the protection monitoring systems, tools and reporting, the referral systems, Protection Mainstreaming and the legal programming. He/she will also lead on the identification, analysis and succinct reporting of protection trends and issues of concern to feed into protection sector strategy development, IRC programming as well as relevant humanitarian coordination fora, such as the Protection Working Groups. The SPM will also contribute to the continued development of the protection sector, including drafting proposals and budgets, under the guidance of the Protection and Rule of Law Coordinator and in close collaboration with other technical sector leads.
The Senior Protection Manager will be based in Uhkiya. The SPM will technically oversee Protection Managers responsible for the day-to-day management of the program, and other staff depending on project development. The Senior Protection Manager will work extensively with other sectors to ensure that protection principles are being incorporated into the emergency programs, and that we have and outcomes-based approach.
Program Management and Development:
- Responsible for managing, implementing protection monitoring, protection mainstreaming, signpost and Access to Justice programming.
- Directly manages the protection monitoring program coordinating regular data collection, emergency assessments, referrals, information dissemination and awareness sessions and ensures that program activities are responsive and executed to a high quality standard.
- Oversees the Access to Justice and Protection Monitoring programming including supporting the adaptation of the Protection Monitoring and Rule of law Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and development of the relevant data collection forms.
- Lead the technical training of the Protection Managers in their ability to provide Access to justice services, signpost services and protection monitoring as is relevant. Introduce peer coaching and build their practice around supervision and support to frontline Information Moderators, legal officers and monitoring staff.
- Provide technical management of the capacity building program for local NGOs related to protection mainstreaming,
- Ensure appropriate use of IRC global technical resources for all trainings, including the Protection Mainstreaming Monitoring and Evaluation System (Proms)
- Develop and continuously update and refine quality systems and tools for protection monitoring, Legal Assistance and signpost to ensure the effective collection and analysis of qualitative data relating to the protection environment, including physical safety and security, freedom of movement, documentation, safe and equitable access to services, etc.
- Ensure protection and Access to justice activities are of high technical quality, meet humanitarian standards and are flexible and responsive to contextual changes
- Ensure that protection-related internal and external reporting programmatic and donor requirements are met, and that reports are publication quality and are submitted on time. Provide quality oversight of the information products coming.
- Use protection monitoring data support the development of advocacy messages for the Bangladeshi humanitarian crisis.
- In collaboration with the protection managers, ensure smooth management and integration of project work plans and budgets (budget forecasting, development of spending plans, budget follow-up), procurement plans, timely recruitment, and accurate reporting that conforms with IRC and donor regulations;
- Participate in cross-departmental collaboration and coordination with Health, Child Protection and WPE colleagues establish linkages between the programs.
- Coordinate and participate in the development and review of budgets for program proposals in conjunction with the PRol Coordinator, grants and finance departments.
·Manage and Engage PRoL Partners to ensure compliance to IRC regulations and donor requirements.
- Liaise regularly with the relevant HQ technical units.
Grant Planning & Project Implementation
·Lead the overall implementation of the Protection program in camps and provide guidance to the protection staff to ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that the project is appropriately monitored and evaluated, and that project reports are written and submitted in a timely manner.
·Prepare program work plans that meet the program objectives and prepare appropriate operational guidelines for project staff.
·Regularly update the grants metric.
·Provide significant input into donor reports in a timely manner, including up-to-date data for indicators.
·Ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters, manage all financial aspects of the protection programs (budget follow-up, spending plans, cash forecasts, etc), approve relevant expenses and review expenditures, in consultation with the Finance Team and Protection Coordinator to ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters.
·Ensure IRC and donor reports are finalized per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) and indicators and achievements are followed-up and reported upon, according to the work plan.
·Work closely and coordinates with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
Staff Support and Capacity Building
- Support with the hiring, supervising, and build the capacity of protection team members in relevant technical and management competencies.
- Provide technical guidance, on the job mentoring and coaching for protection team.
- Ensure ongoing training and targeted technical capacity building for the entire protection team
- Support Protection team leader to make certain that program managers put capacity development plans in place for the national protection teams based on documented capacity needs assessments exercise.
- Approve and manage, attendance and leave requests to ensure adequate departmental coverage. Ensure monthly, accurate timesheet submission and carry out probationary reviews.
- Hold high-quality meetings with each direct report on a regular and predictable basis, at least monthly.
- Provide a measurable development plan including on-the-job learning with the aim of strengthening technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing guidance on career paths.
- As required identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these as per the National Staff Employment Policies.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being. Model healthy work-life balance practices. Support appropriate interventions in response to identified staff care needs of staff.
New Business Development
- Develop the recommendations for a strategy for the refugee response
·Participate in strategic meetings in proposal development, and support Protection Coordinator in establishment/update of overall protection strategy
- Develop and/or input into protection assessments and protection reporting analysis for the purpose of program development
- Find opportunities for partnership and strategic collaboration.
Representation, coordination and advocacy
- With approval fromthe PRoL Coordinator, actively participate in, and contribute to, coordination meetings and working groups, specifically the Protection sector coordination group and other related task forces;
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other key partners, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors; establishing IRC as one of the leaders in protection.
- Seek to establish and develop partnerships and collaborate with the Bangladeshi and Rohingya civil society and local partners.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs