The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving are and life changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals, refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth. https://www.rescue.org/country/uganda. IRC has a country office in Kampala, a regional office in Kitgum, and Moroto. Given the recent conflict outbreak in South Sudan, IRC re-opened the Yumbe Field site office to support refugees being settled in Bidibidi refugee settlement in Yumbe District and in Arua District; the IRC is one of the first responders to this emergency situation.
The Laboratory Assistant will ensure that laboratory services of the health facility, are well planned for, provided with necessary resources and implemented in accordance with set policies and standards. They will ensure that laboratory services at the site are well managed, laboratory investigations on clients are carried out, the required health quality control of laboratory reagents and equipment is maintained and laboratory reagents and supplies are effectively used.
- Carry out phlebotomy for all tests to be conducted
- Receive/collect, lab samples and analyse/test them
- Keep accurate records and confidentiality of tests conducted
- Carry out laboratory tests and produce accurate results
- Participate in development/updating and implementation of laboratory standard operation procedures (SOPs)
- Participate in report writing by compiling reports on tests carried out at the health facility laboratory
- Carry out quality control of laboratory reagents and equipment
- Assist in drawing-up laboratory plans and budgets
- Mentor the laboratory volunteers, and any other trainees
- Ensure safety of clients in the laboratory.
Key working relationships:
Direct supervisor: Laboratory Technician
Technical support: Laboratory Technician, Clinical Officer, Medical Officer
Other:Logistics, finance, admin staff.
Govt. of Uganda: N/A
Consortium Members: N/A
Standards for Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way-Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is January 23,2021