Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 25 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting IDPs, refugees and local communities. IRC Uganda has it country office in Kampala and regional offices in Kit gum Moroto, and Yumbe. The current program portfolio includes health, protection and rule of law, women’s protection and empowerment, and economic recovery and development programming
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Nutrition Assistant shall be responsible for providing health education talks, screening to children, women and their partners in the health facility and in the community on nutrition related issues. S/he will provide anthropometric assessment, recording, referral and linking clients to respective service points and shall maintain environment friendly working space hence adhering to infection control and prevention practices. S/he will provide nutrition services including but not limited to counseling, linkage and preparing treatment for the clients.
- Participate in screening at the triage of children under the age of five to monitor and ensure early detection of malnutrition cases
- Providing guidance on the purchasing of food and planning hospital meals. • Designing special diets for therapeutic purposes.
- Participating in community outreach services for adequate nutrition.
- Participating in research activities.
- Will be supporting the admissions of severe malnutrition cases following properly laid down standards. Prepare and feeding of severely malnourished patients under observation in the inpatient wards.
- Will be responsible for case management of malnutrition patients on follow-ups and those on ward and ensure that all routine medications are administered appropriately.
- To counsel and advise in-patients/follow-ups/parents/guardians on proper care and nutrition at home.
- To carry out home visits as a follow up on discharged patients to ensure adherence of the clients on the nutrition programs.
- Support the EPI department through carrying out routine growth monitoring activities and ensuring that all malnourished children have child health cards
- Ensure that all the stored food supplements are safe and free from contamination and theft and the store is clean all the time.
- Ensure the kitchen for preparation of therapeutic milk for severely malnourished children and the surrounding environment is clean, hygienic and well maintained.
- Prepare and submit the nutrition reports for both the in patients and out patients as guided by the nutrition officer.
- Imparting knowledge and skills to staff.
Adhering to Professional Code of Conduct and Ethics.
Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Provide regular feedback on nutrition activities of the facility.
- Assist in preparation of donor reports;
- Participate in the development and implementation of program work plans.
Key working relationships:
Direct supervisor: Nutrition Officer
Technical support: Health facility in-charge.
Other:Logistics, finance, admin staff.
Govt. of Uganda: District Health Team and other district officials
Other:NGOs, INGOs and UN agencies working in the project region
STANDARDS FOR PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications will be February 9th,2021