Education Specialist - Tehran Based
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, food security, livelihoods, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 6000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. NRC runs the world's largest standby rosters NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC in the Islamic Republic of Iran
NRC started operations in Iran in 2012. We currently deliver humanitarian assistance in 9 provinces in the sectors of Education, Food Security and livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter construction, as well as Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). We co-lead several technical inter-agency working groups and provide capacity building to humanitarian partners in country. Next to our programs, NRC Iran also built an advocacy unit to develop joint messages and initiatives among INGOs to improve rights of the displaced. Following several recent breakthroughs, NRC Iran is scaling up substantially its activities in support of the Government of Iran efforts towards an estimated 3,6 million Afghans residing in country and is expanding its programme unit.
The Education Specialist has to ensure technical development of Education Core Competency, strategic direction and quality assurance for the NRC education response in Iran. He/she is responsible for mentoring, training, building the technical capacity of staff and to develop the education portfolio in the country. He/she holds a key role on the mission and reports to the Head of Programme (HoP).
- Develop the Education strategy, technical guidance and Macro logframes
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within the Education Core Competency, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support to Program Managers in the field
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Education implementation, and incorporate them in program and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of all Education technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of refugees and displaced in line with the advocacy strategy
- Develop an Education response adapted to the Iranian context and in line with the regulations of the Ministry of Education as well as Ministry of interior (BAFIA)
- Provide Education related strategic and technical inputs into the Education Working Group and other relevant country level or regional fora.
- Support the implementation and provide technical guidance to cash in education activities
- Develop high quality Education proposals and timely reports
- Build capacity to operationalize quality, timely and comprehensive Education programming in the various areas of operation
- Ensure harmonization and consistency across Education projects implemented in different areas of operation
- Develop partnerships with Iranian organizations providing educational related activities
- Support the Head of Programme in identifying advocacy opportunities related to education
- Support the Head of Programme in the development of NRC Iran integrated programming
- Support the Education teams to ensure proper functioning of M&E systems and timely reporting
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Minimum 6 years of experience within Education technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Strong Education expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Strong understanding of protection principles
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the Afghanistan displacement context is an asset
- Knowledge of the refugee context in Iran is an asset
- Experience with scaling up of education programs in strictly controlled context is an asset
- Experience with Education related advocacy work is an asset
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision;
- Strategic thinking
- Planning and delivering results;
- Initiating action and change;
- Empowering and building trust
We can offer
Type of contract: 12 months’, with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According NRC salary scale, terms and conditions.
Duty station: Tehran, Iran
Travel: Up to 25% within Iran
Salary and Benefits: Based on the NRC scale.
NRC might review applications before advert deadline, therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.