Associate, Health Financing
Associate, Health Financing
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - India
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI, in partnership with its India affiliate William J Clinton Foundation (WJCF), works in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States' levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently, CHAI works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C (HCV), tuberculosis, cancer, and immunization.
CHAI’s Health Financing program supports governments implementing reforms towards the goal of universal health coverage; ensuring that patients can access the care they need without suffering financial hardship. In India, CHAI staff work closely with the National Health Authority (NHA) and State Health Agencies (SHAs) in three states to build capacity for and support evidence-based decision making in the design and implementation of AB-PMJAY. At the request of government leadership, CHAI is expanding engagement to Madhya Pradesh to strengthen implementation of the scheme. Our approach is focused on support to three key areas – i) the implementation of core insurance operations, supported by ii) a robust performance management system that is informed by iii) a culture of data use for decision making. This includes using data analytics and insights to identify gaps in access and delivery of services, implement reforms and track and improve performance.
The Data Insights Associate will be a core member of CHAI’s rapidly growing health financing program in India, working in collaboration with a team based across the NHA and three SHAs in supporting one of the largest insurance schemes in the world. The candidate will be embedded in the Madhya Pradesh SHA in Bhopal to support SHA leadership in the design and implementation of key PMJAY reforms with a focus on evidence based decision making. The successful candidate will deliver direct technical assistance and build capacity for evidence-informed decision making in core insurance operations, and help develop a strong performance management system at the SHA. They will work in collaboration with partners to create a learning and capacity building ecosystem through day-to-day engagements, mentorship and formal training, as well as support knowledge sharing efforts on data analytics and insights between center and states.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, technical skills, strategic thinking and communication skills to help shape the health financing program in Madhya Pradesh. The candidate must be able to function independently and flexibly and have a strong commitment to excellence. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Support the India Program Lead and MP Project Manager to identify and define an overall strategy for engagement in Madhya Pradesh, and execute clear operational plans
- Sensitize and create demand for support on data analytics and data use for decision making, working with SHA partners to articulate this need and providing continuity so that best practices and skills are shared and institutionalized within government
- Identify key counterparts and build capacity within SHA for evidence-based management, including through day to day joint tasks and deliverables as well as trainings on various aspects of the health reforms.
- Support analysis of program data to monitor performance, identify key challenges/bottlenecks and provide solutions
- Identify KPIs and build monitoring dashboards to support effective programmatic decision making
- Work with CHAI program lead to organize and facilitate learning exchange meetings, workshops and trainings for practitioner to practitioner exchange, to strengthen capacity and knowledge sharing on priority technical topics
- Develop and disseminate reports, policy briefs and other knowledge products, in collaboration with government partners
- Collaborate with government to ensure skills transfer and government ownership, identify the most critical hurdles to scale-up, and develop innovative strategies to address them
- Facilitate key meetings/events such as trainings, state coordination meetings, IT workshops, etc.
- Provide strategic insights at technical working groups and/or other high level meetings and conferences
- Establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships and engagement with CHAI India and global teams, local institutional partners, and technical/academic institutions at national and state levels, and ensure maximum coordination of resources and effort
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field and four years of relevant work experience preferably in strategic consulting or big data analytics
- Master’s degree and experience working in the health sector and/or health insurance (public or private) is an advantage
- Entrepreneurial mind-set, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a diverse team, ideally in the context of a growing team and/or a team with several senior managers
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- Excellent analytical (qualitative and quantitative) skills and communication (written and verbal) skills
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Willingness to travel if required and for extended periods (~15% travel).
- Fluency in English. Fluency in Hindi and additional Indian languages is an advantage
- Experience of handling big datasets through use of software such as SQL, Oracle, Python, SAS etc and data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI, Qlik Sense etc.
- Design and BI architecture skills, partnering with engineering & information architecture teams on design & architecture
- Experience managing a project end-to-end: problem scoping, data gathering, EDA, visualizations, modelling and insights