Visual Illustration Manager, PlayMatters
The PlayMatters project reimagines childhood for refugee and refugee host community children. It will bring play-based learning to nearly 1 million children across Ethiopia, Uganda, and Tanzania. It envisions to redefine education and cultivate a generation of lifelong learners. PlayMatters is inspired by LEGO Foundation’s call to challenge the status quo, to offer children the quality education they dream of. Children are not gaining from education as they should, teachers are under-supported, and parents are overwhelmed. The systems built to serve them are failing them. PlayMatters proudly offers something different delivered by a coalition of partners with a track record of thinking and delivering differently through three distinct characteristics: outcomes, thought leadership, and research and learning. In partnership with War Child Holland, Plan International, Behavioral Insights Team, and Innovations for Poverty Action; the International Rescue Committee (IRC) will lead the PlayMatters consortium to Improve holistic learning outcomes for children ages 3 through 12+ by ensuring that they are reached with learning through play methodologies within the social ecosystem in which they live and learn.
The Visual Illustration Manager (VIM) will be based in Kampala with occasional travel to refugee hosting districts in Uganda. S/he will use skills in drawing, color, composition, and storytelling to visualize and create engaging images that enliven PlayMatters content for educators, community members, caregivers, systems actors, and advocacy plans. The VIM will review text, sketch, revise, iterate, and finish illustrations for PlayMatters products, adjusting as requested by the PlayMatters team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conceptualize and create colorful/engaging illustrations to support key ideas and concepts presented in textual educational materials for teachers, community members, caregivers, systems actors, children, and advocacy campaigns. Illustrations may include elements for guides, posters, booklets, manuals, etc.
- Participate in iterative design process, producing variations of illustrated content to ensure that illustrations convey the appropriate concepts and information for users.
- Create illustrations that are of the highest quality and meet technical requirements.
- Manage complex deliverables across three countries and multiple content development.
- Generate ideas and concepts that are clear, communicative, and engaging.
- Work collaboratively with all members of our content development committees to ensure technically accurate, appropriate, consistent, and responsive illustrations are creative.
- Collaborate and communicate creative ideas with a cross-functional team that includes technical experts, graphic designers, behavioral scientists, and users to create compelling illustrations.
- Stay on top of the latest standards, processes, and trends in the illustration field.
- Create designs that are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of the content and can translate into multiple formats.
- Work in a fast-paced, diverse, and collaborative environment
- Adhere to tight deadlines and produce iterations of work with a short turn-around time.