Environmental Health Coordinator
Burkina Faso (Burkina Faso)
In Burkina Faso, IRC launched its first phase of emergency response programming in the city of Djibo in April 2019, mainly with WASH, Protection activities. The Environmental Health (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene - WASH) program aims in particular to equip water points with solar supply systems and distribution networks, to rehabilitate human-powered pumps, to build or rehabilitate water infrastructure, sanitation (latrines, solid waste and medical waste) in health centers, to support the construction of family latrines for displaced households, and to provide basic hygiene products to households selected on the basis of vulnerability to health risks.
All of these activities will be systematically accompanied by hygiene promotion actions. Finally, with the COVID-19 pandemic, IRC Burkina Faso has developed a response plan focused on prevention, infection control (PCI), mass communication and community engagement in which the EH program plays a leading role in the implementation of field activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director of program the main role of EH Coordinator is to provide technical and managerial support to the WASH team of three (3) bases and at the Ouagadougou level. Specifically, he (she) will ensure the phasing in the implementation of ongoing projects, make quality proposals for new projects, work in close collaboration with the EH Senior Manager for the various donor reports and contribute in the definition of the Country strategy by proposing a clear vision of EH activities in Burkina Faso taking into account the results and positioning of IRC at the sector level.
• Provide advice, technical support, and leadership to the EH team in Burkina Faso in compliance with international best practices and IRC policy.
• Participate in the meetings of the WASH cluster and co- lead the sub-cluster in the province of Be creative and innovative in WASH activity proposals to meet the needs of displaced and host communities.
• Participate in the development of the strategic action plan of the country program and propose a concrete plan for the EH component with a focus on the integration of other sectors (Health, Protection, ERD).
• Maintain a follow-up communication of expenses and contracts with the Supply chain and finance departments.
• Visit on a regular basis field office to provide technical support to the field teams and propose capacity building plans resulting from direct discussions with field staffs.
• Identify opportunities for EH program expansion; implement action plans for the extension of services considering the scale of needs and gaps, as well as the IRC's internal capacity to respond appropriately.
Supervision and development of staff
• Ensure effective, open communication and professional relationships between team members, promoting strong team spirit.
• Follow-up and support to enable staff to perform successfully in their positions.
• Participate in the recruitment of staff according to the authorized organization chart.
• Adhere to global and national staff employment policies.
• Ensure the setting objectives and performance evaluation as well as setting expectations and planning capacity building initiatives
• Ensure that the WASH department analyzes and provides monthly feedback to finance upon receipt of the BVA,
• Lead new proposals design in case of new projects by focusing on the Country strategy,
• Ensure appropriate and timely expenditure of grants to achieve program objectives, ensure contribution to reports, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
• In collaboration with the MEAL Manager, propose a monitoring and evaluation system for WASH activities to facilitate data analysis and tracking of indicators.
• Prepare and submit donor reports on time and success stories.
• Ensure the consolidation of data on the beneficiaries reached and share with the MEAL Manager for annual IRC statistics.
Coordination & Representation
• As Co-lead of the WASH cluster of Soum province, actively participate in the decision-making of the Country Strategic Orientation Committee (COS).
• Work closely and coordinate with logistics, finance and IRC grants staff to ensure program activities and expenses on time, including active participation in opening / closing and review meetings.
• Technical diploma (Engineer or Master) in environmental, water or public health sciences; specialization in water, sanitation and hygiene preferred.
• A minimum of 5-10 years of professional experience in conducting / managing water, sanitation and hygiene promotion projects in emergency and development contexts.
• Prior experience and excellent understanding of working in emergency situations or in precarious environments.
• Strong skills in management, project planning, budget management and reporting, and monitoring and evaluation.
• Excellent understanding of environmental health issues in emergencies and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere).
• Strong oral and written communication skills, comfortable in a multicultural environment and effective in representation and liaison. Able to plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks under pressure and deliver tangible benefits to a team.
• Excellent professional approach, skills building and proven ability to build staff capacity.
• Fluency in French and English and Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel; AutoCAD and GIS preferred.
• Knowledge of the local Fulfulde language is a plus.
The EH Coordinator will be based in Ouagadougou as a guest. He will benefit from all the safety advice for his trips in the field and in the city of Ouagadougou.
The IRC and IRC employees have an obligation to adhere to the values and principles set forth in the IRC Way Code of Business Conduct. It is in accordance with these values of integrity, service and responsibility that the IRC applies and ensures compliance with policies on the protection of beneficiaries against exploitation and abuse, the protection of children, harassment on workplaces, fiscal integrity and anti-retaliation.