Oficial de Medios de Vida - Cultural Orientation and Livelihoods Trainer Tapachul
Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In 2016, in response to a growing number of asylum seekers/refugees
in Mexico, UNHCR intensified its focus on local integration for refugees. In 2021, UNHCR aims to relocate up to 20,000 refugees through this program. IRC is working in partnership with UNHCR to implement comprehensive and integrated cultural orientation and livelihoods education programming for individuals referred into the local integration program.
The Cultural Orientation (CO) and Livelihoods Trainers, one focused on Adults and one focused on Youth, will deliver trainings that equip clients with community navigation, cultural orientation and livelihoods-related knowledge and skills. Trainers will deliver good quality classes that assist participants to understand how to maintain themselves and their families in Mexico. Examples
of topics to be covered aid people on their relocation journey include personal safety, staying healthy, accessing health services, finding employment, managing finances, using transportation, enrolling in education, etc.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Cultural Orientation and Livelihoods Senior Trainer.
Position supervises: no one, but employees will work cooperatively with all IRC staff.
Deliver classroom and one-to-one instruction that supports and develops clients’ motivation, resiliency, and
independence. CO content to include: integration program overview, rights and responsibilities, travel, safety, housing, health and wellbeing, finances and education in the Mexican context. Livelihoods training content for job-seeking clients will guide them in obtaining employment in their destination city.
- Provide transportation orientations for all soon to depart individuals.
- Maintain attendance sheets and monitor each client’s individual progress.
- Ensure that services are delivered in accordance with quality standards
- Attend meetings as assigned by supervisor
- Implement a weekly / monthly workplan
- Develop reports on project activities and submit to supervisor on schedule.
- Work cooperatively with fellow IRC colleagues
- Maintain a professional working relationship with local UNHCR staff, government agencies and partners
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
- Serve as an exemplar of the IRC Way: Standards for Professional Conduct.