Malaria Program Manager
Malaria Program Manager
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - Vietnam
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI is seeking a Malaria Program Manager to lead the Vietnam CHAI malaria team. The Manager will oversee CHAI’s support to the National Institute of Malariology, Parasitology, and Entomology (NIMPE), the Institute of Malariology, Parasitology, and Entomology (IMPE) in Quy Nhon and HCMC, and other elements of the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) of the Ministry of Health (MOH) in optimizing current strategies and developing and executing new strategies and interventions to help accelerate Vietnam’s drive towards malaria elimination.
This role offers a unique opportunity for a talented individual to apply epidemiological and analytical skills to guide the operations of a disease elimination program. The successful candidate will lead a small team working directly with government counterparts and CHAI Global Team experts to assess, design, and scale-up disease surveillance system; conduct robust data analysis; and drive implementation of core malaria interventions to achieve malaria elimination.
The position entails high level of direct coordination with multiple stakeholders within the government, partners, and CHAI’s global technical teams. They will represent CHAI in high-level meetings with government partners and donors on policy-making and management-related matters. The Manager must be a highly motivated, entrepreneurial individual with outstanding people and program management, problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills. The position will be based in Hanoi with travel within the country expected up to 25% of the time.
This position reports to an Associate Director in Vietnam.
- Be responsible for the strategic and program management assistance to the malaria program in Vietnam, and coordinate CHAI’s support to help strengthen systems and achieve audacious programmatic goals on aggressive timelines
- Assist NMCP to successfully execute the malaria elimination strategy and to reorient their programs towards elimination. Specific activities may include leading CHAI’s effort to:
- Update, scale-up and institutionalize the surveillance system nationwide, with the goal of ensuring rapid and accurate reporting of case-level malaria data from all levels and that data is appropriately stored and managed to ensure a rapid and effective response
- Support the government and partners to update national guidelines and policies to ensure alignment with overall elimination goals
- Update operational plans and associated training materials to build government capacity and support effective execution of malaria program in high burden communes
- Assist NMCP identify potential sources for and mobilization of additional funding to address any potential gaps preventing robust implementation of national malaria strategic plan
- Serve as technical point person to government and CHAI country team regarding approaches to malaria elimination and liaise with CHAI global teams regarding technical matters and additional support required to execute country work plans
- Identify key impediments to the successful execution of the malaria elimination strategy and other national guidelines and work with the NMCP and partners to develop solutions to rapidly address these bottlenecks
- Develop internal work plans aligned with national strategy objectives, and oversee the quality of the delivery of work by CHAI malaria staff on regular basis, supporting as necessary to ensure high quality delivery
- CHAI has a hybrid management structure with co-management roles across program and functional areas. Manager will oversee the day to day delivery from the team of 5 staff and facilitate effective communication and coordination mechanisms within the team.
- Work closely with the Country Director, Associate Director(s), and local and regional malaria teams to maintain overall strategic direction of the program
- Identify strategic areas for expansion or redirection and guide strategic planning or proposal development as needed
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years of work experience including experience managing others
- Exceptional problem solving skills and quantitative and qualitative analytical capabilities
- Exceptional English communication skills, including the ability to create compelling, logical presentations, using PowerPoint and other tools, and a structured and clear oral and written communication style
- Advanced analytical skills and problem-solving with proven ability to develop and apply quantitative models using Excel and other tools to address specific challenges and improve working practices with a focus on outcomes
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships in a challenging multicultural environment
- Ability to manage numerous work streams simultaneously in high pressure situations
- Proficient in Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
- Advanced degree in public health or business
- Experience in programming and/or working with surveillance platforms, data collection tools and/or data visualization applications
- Experience living and working in Southeast Asia
- Experience working with Asian governments and institutions
- Experience in working with malaria and/or other infectious diseases
- Fluency in Vietnamese is an advantage
A one-page cover letter should accompany the CV and specify the position sought and highlight why the candidate believes they are the right person for the position.