Cultural Orientation and Casework Intern - Summer 2021
Silver Spring (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 24 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 24 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Cultural Orientation program provides instruction to newly arrived refugees on a variety of important topics, such as US laws, financial literacy, public transportation, personal safety, housing issues, employment, immigration, cultural adjustment, and the US healthcare system. Cultural Orientation is offered in a classroom or in-home setting and follows an interactive, participant-centered curriculum. All sessions are conducted in participants’ native languages through the use of in-person interpreters. This intern position will also support the Nauru and Papua New Guinea Program (NRPP).
- Lead Cultural Orientation sessions in a classroom or in-home setting.
- Update the Cultural Orientation curriculum and develop differentiated lessons for clients with varying experiences and educational backgrounds.
- Assist with program logistics, such as setting up the classroom, preparing materials, contacting participants, maintaining records, and administering assessments.
- Develop resettlement and/or self-sufficiency plans and timelines for each client and identify and connect clients with resources in the community to offer support, ease the transition and facilitate successful integration.
- Intern will gain experience with teaching, curriculum development, program administration, and assessment.
- Intern will build public speaking skills, learn to work with an interpreter, and increase inter-cultural competence.
- Intern will learn about the US refugee resettlement process and educational methods that promote community integration and self-sufficiency.