Programme Communications Associate (Open to Egyptian Nationals and Residents only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Reporting to the Communication and Advocacy Analyst, the Programme-Communication Associate effectively promotes the work of UN Women in Egypt within the context of UN Women’s corporate Communication Strategy as well as that for the Country Office. As part of the communications unit, the Programme-Communication Associate covers primary tasks as outlined below, and works in daily coordination with the Communications and Advocacy Analyst, including thorough backstopping on other communications tasks. S/he provides high-quality support to planning, communications production, and partnership building in service of UN Women’s mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Communication and Advocacy Analyst, the Programme-Communication Associate will undertake the following tasks:
1) Support the development and implementation of the UN Women Egypt communication strategy:
- Draft annual communication workplan in coordination with programme teams;
- Coordinate with programme teams, partners and donors to ensure effective implementation of activities in line with UN Women communication guidelines and policies;
- Develop quarterly progress reports on programmatic communication activities to be shared with donors and relevant partners;
- Coordinate the work of production and printing agencies involved in the creation of audio/video/animation/print products;
- Participate in the UN Communication Group Meetings, and assist in coordinating with other UN agencies on communication plans;
- Support UN Women Egypt in all public and advocacy events and ensure proper visibility;
- Organize press conferences and special events commemorating International Days observed by UN Women.
2) Provide coordination support to the development of Country office advocacy materials:
- Identify storylines and achievements within the CO for online and print publications;
- Develop and edit reports and communications materials in both English and Arabic;
- Draft stories, articles, speeches and other advocacy materials (e.g. newsletters, knowledge products, etc.);
- Support the production of communication products in coordination with partners and donors;
- Coordinate the translation, adaptation, or rewriting of information received for the local context; disseminate materials to appropriate stakeholders;
- Maintain library/ database of reference materials, photos, and digital assets;
- Support the update of digital media platforms.
3) Provide media relations support:
- Serve as a focal point and liaise with local media, including editors and journalists in key local news outlets;
- Arrange interviews, press conferences and media field visits as part of the Programme/Project activities;
- Develop monthly monitoring reports to track the coverage of UN Women events and activities;
- Maintain and update database of the relevant press in-country;
- Process media enquiries and requests for interviews.
4) Perform other duties as and when required and designated by the supervisor.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
1) Knowledge and Expertise in Communications and Media:
- Knowledge of best practices in communication;
- Experience in the effective management of communication activities;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in both English and Arabic;
- Knowledge of women’s rights issues.
2) Management and Leadership:
- Demonstrates excellent judgment, particularly with regard to being able to prioritize according to importance and urgency;
- Highly organized, with particular ability in devising systems to ensure follow up;
- Enjoys multi-tasking and managing several projects at one time;
- Focuses on impact and result;
- Ability to work as a positive and valued member of task teams and demonstrates conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Building strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Displays a high level of discretion.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Management, Mass Communication, Public Relations, Economics, Public Policy, or Development-related areas, etc.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in providing support to the formulation and implementation of internal and external communications and advocacy strategies and related plans;
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) as well as web-based management systems;
- Experience in the use of social media and digital communication;
- Experience in graphic design, photography and photo editing, and/or web design is an asset.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Arabic required.
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment.
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. Make sure that you provide a valid email address for future communications.