National professional Officer (National Project Coordinator
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
Important Notice - Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The position is located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The National Professional Officer (National Project Coordinator) reports directly to the FAO Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) of the project and in collaboration with the Board of Director's Secretary of the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme.
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of the Saudi Arabia.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities.
• Participates in policy dialogue and advises government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO’s activities and liaises with other United Nations (UN) agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings;
• Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization’s mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and supports the implementation of FAO’s regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
• Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries, including information on external aid in FAO’s corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
• Takes the lead in producing technical, economic and policy studies as well as developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
• Identifies, formulates and coordinates the preparation of programme and project proposals, monitors FAO field programme implementation, ensuring that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations on how to improve results and increase efficiency;
• Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided;
• Performs other duties as required
• Contributes to the preparation of the Project implementation planning consultation with nationals and concerned stakeholders;
• Participates in preparation of detailed project annual work plans by the Chief Technical Adviser and in collaboration with stakeholders, and making necessary arrangements for the successful implementation of these plans in a timely manner;
• Liaises with the relevant departments of the MoEWA at central and regional levels as well as with other national stakeholders and partners to facilitate the smooth implementation of the Project’s activities;
• Ensures cooperation and collaboration with SRADP management and the MoEWA Focal Points and coordinates with all stakeholders to ensure quality and smooth implementation of all project interventions;
• Contributes to consultation with concerned stakeholders to ensure validation of consultant’s recommendation and actions to implement the agreed upon interventions/recommendation;
• Coordinates with SRAD Programme management team to ensure the allocation of inputs and material required for the implementation of field interventions to benefit of small producers, cooperatives and entrepreneurs;
• Contributes to the review of the project budgets and preparation of expenditure plans for the project;
• Monitors project inputs, ensures access to and use of inputs in accordance with the planned schedule and specifications, identifies constraints/issues and takes necessary actions;
• Monitors and supervises the execution of project activities, at both central and regional level in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, ensuring in particular close working relations with national and local authorities, and providing general supervision of national teams working at regional and field levels, and informs the CTA of issues that need attention and specific assistance;
• Participates in preparation of semi-annual project progress reports and in reviewing and discussing the progress made and lessons learned and recommendations for improving the performance, during meetings of the National Project Steering Committee (NPSC) and contributes to terminal report preparation;
• Ensures the coordination and organization of the Project national and regional committees’ meetings and ensures timely preparation of the meeting minutes and their distribution;
• Provides support and advice to the CTA and FAO missions and consultants visiting/engaging in assignments in the Kingdom, including assistance with preparing itineraries, appointments and liaising with the government agencies to assist with travel and other logistical arrangements;
• Provides support in the design and conducting of the project diagnostic and baseline studies;
• Ensures that SRADP investment and support components including the provision of equipment, construction water harvesting, nurseries, vet clinics, extension centres and others include fishing and marketing facilities are timely completed;
• Participates in assessing training needs of the Project, development of integrated and coordinated training programme including in-country, overseas training courses and study tours and oversees its implementation and evaluation;
• Contributes with the CTA and other technical advisors in the preparation and implementation of the Project joint activities covering all components; and perform any other duty related to the Project as required by FAO Programme Director.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of the country of assignment;
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, forestry, fisheries, or any other field related to the work of the Organization;
• Seven years of relevant experience in agricultural development and/or project implementation in an area of FAO's activities in the country;
• Working knowledge (Level C) of the Arabic language and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project development and management;
• Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
• Working knowledge (level C) of English is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review.