Subject Matter Expert – Gender-Responsive Legislation
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental organization devoted to promoting the rule of law. IDLO works to enable governments and empower people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
Gender equality is among IDLO’s core values and guiding principles. IDLO’s Strategic Plan specifically states that IDLO is “committed to promoting gender equality through non-discriminatory gender responsive laws, and institutions, enhancing women’s access to justice and increasing their legal empowerment to achieve sustainable development”. In this framework, IDLO is implementing a Project which supports the elimination of discriminatory laws in the Philippines, aligning to the “Equality in Law for Women and Girls by 2030: A multi-stakeholder Strategy for Accelerated Action” led by UN Women. The overall goal of the Project is to facilitate elimination or reform of laws that discriminate against women and girls.
Part of this program is to build legal and technical capacity on legal drafting and/or specific thematic areas to support legal reform work, specifically for the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Philippines. The capacity building activity will be developed and delivered in coordination with IDLO’s institutional partner, the Philippine Commission on Women (PCW). The capacity building activity will be based on the PCW publication, How to be a Gender-Responsive Legislator. To support this activity with the House of Representatives and Senate of the Philippines, IDLO will engage a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on Gender Responsive Legislation.
The SME, in consultation with IDLO and the Philippine Commission on Women, will determine the substantive content for the training on How to be a Gender-Responsive Legislator.
The SME will ultimately be responsible for the timely submission of a training module that is consistent with IDLO’s Participatory Training Methodology (PTM), suited to the needs of adult learners, particularly those in the legal / legislative sector.
IDLO will require the services of one (1) Subject Matter Expert, who will be expected to report to and coordinate with the IDLO Field Program Coordinator for the Equality in Law Project. The main objective of the consultancy is to design and develop a training module for capacity-building on How to be a Gender-Responsive Legislator for the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Philippines.
The consultant will be responsible to undertake the following:
1. The Consultant will familiarize herself/himself with IDLO’s training methodology, including the completion of IDLO’s online Training of Trainers course and the IDLO introduction to distance learning course;
2. The consultant will work closely with IDLO and PCW to identify the gaps in skills, knowledge and competencies relating to gender-responsive legislation;
3. The consultant will then develop and draft a Training Module that is consistent with IDLO’s Participatory Training Methodology (PTM) and the publication How to be a Gender-Responsive Legislator;
4. The consultant will collaborate with the IDLO Instructional Designer Consultant to develop the distance learning components of the training;
5. The consultant shall submit the draft Training Module and validate contents through a validation workshop with all key stakeholders;
6. The consultant will incorporate the feedback from the validation workshop and present the Final Module to IDLO and PCW;
7. The consultant will be expected at all times to coordinate closely with and incorporate inputs and guidance from IDLO through regular communication and coordination meetings;
8. The consultant shall submit these required outputs:
Final Module containing:
(i) Performance based-objectives
(ii) Instructional Plan (including a storyboard for distance learning components)
(iii) Learning activities
(iv) Training Handout(s)/Handbook for Trainers and Participants.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- A degree in law from the Philippines is required
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant professional experience, ideally with focus on women’s rights, gender responsive-legislation, and gender mainstreaming;
- Experience in designing and delivering interactive courses for adult learners is required; emphasis on gender-related courses would be an advantage;
- Previous experience in drafting and developing training modules and curriculum, incorporating interactive adult learning methodologies, would be a considerable asset
- Experience working with the Philippine Commission on Women would likewise be an advantage
- Good understanding of the political and cultural dynamics of Philippine legislative sector institutions
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
Specific Technical & Behavioral Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work constructively with several internal service departments
- Proven ability to develop and foster remote working relationships
- Proven ability to see through set tasks and deliver results on time
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative
- Ability to take guidance, incorporate feedback, and consider various perspectives
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate
Terms and Conditions
The Services will be performed Home-Based with meetings and activities conducted over a virtual platform.
Unless otherwise agreed by the parties, the start date for this assignment is April 9, 2021, for a period of twenty non-consecutive (20) days between April and June 2021.
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply by submitting a CV and cover letter.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director - General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.