Technical Officer in Social Security, P2
Vacancy no.: DC/ISSA/P/2021/02
Publication date: 26 March 2021
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 30 April 2021
Job ID: 5869
Organization Unit: ISSA
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 12 months (renewable)
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the present vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their candidature online by the above date.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
The position is located in the Social Security Development Branch of the International Social Security Association (ISSA). The Social Security Development Branch (SSD) is the area within ISSA responsible for developing the technical knowledge necessary to reach the ISSA’s objectives of promoting excellence in the management of social security institutions.
The incumbent reports to the Director of the Social Security Development Branch. Under the direct supervision of the Director of the Social Security Development (SSD) Branch or his delegate, the incumbent is responsible for undertaking technical and professional project implementation in the area of activities of the SSD and the timely delivery of defined project outputs.
The incumbent undertakes technical work on the various ISSA social security databases, comprising national country profiles based on the Social Security Programs Throughout the World (SSPTW), international agreements data, institutions’ administration data, good practices, ISSA monitors data, and selected bibliographic resources on relevant technical areas. The incumbent may be called upon to work in task-oriented teams to contribute to ISSA activities within the area of competencies, such as analysing social security developments about which the ISSA collects data (e.g. crisis, social trends, etc.).
Description of Duties
- Contribute to research on social protection schemes in the different regions, as required, and assist in validating collected data for input into the ISSA social security databases, including the Social Security Programs Throughout the World (SSPTW), international agreements data, institutions’ administration data, good practices, ISSA monitors data particularly in Spanish. In this line, contribute to the selection and classification of data sources and bibliographic resources in relevant technical areas.
- Liaise with surveyed social security organisations in all the regions, particularly Spanish speaking, as required, to compile and consolidate inputs to the ISSA social security databases, ISSA monitors and related publications, ensuring accuracy, consistency and timeliness of information and data collection.
- Contribute to analysing data in ISSA databases and monitors, and support the preparation of ISSA publications based on the analysed developments, such as short articles on ongoing events and the regional social security reports.
- Support SSD staff and external collaborators in a range of activities that feed into the various ISSA social security databases, and provide orientation to interns, as required.
- Contribute to the maintenance and updating of social security information in the database and its diffusion on the ISSA web portal, liaising with IT and Promotion specialists as required.
- Undertake other duties as required.
First level degree in the relevant field. An Advanced university degree would be an advantage.
At least two years experience in the field of social security schemes and regulations.
Proficiency in English and a good working knowledge of another official language of the ISSA (French, German, and Spanish) is required for this position. A good working knowledge in Spanish is highly desirable.
- The ability to cross-check primary social security data using official national and international sources; ability to contribute to the preparation of reports and publications of a high quality, ability to keep accurate and detailed records of research; ability to work in a team.
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely, both for the purposes of preparing project proposals, providing advisory services and preparing reports and studies.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Ability to carry out assignments in accordance with instructions and guidelines.
- Ability to conceptualise, plan, coordinate and conduct straightforward research work, discussion papers and reports.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and gender-sensitive behaviour and attitudes are also required.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Any extension of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/?locale=en_GB
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ILO Jobs. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for a written test and/or an interview.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.