Area Support Services Manager
Area Support Service Manager
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
Provides coordinated and strategic leadership for all support functions and ensures the smooth running of all support functions to meet the programme needs in line with the DRC Operations Handbook.
Planning and strategy
• Ensure that annual planning for support services is done and regular targets are met and that these are linked to the coordination unit for country-wide consistency
• Ensure that project planning includes relevant support service requirements (such as lead times and appropriate budgets)
• Ensure that resource mobilization is realistic and meets the needs of support functions, by using the operations budget to input to donor proposals
• Ensure that support services are fit for purpose to meet programme needs
• Be the focal point for the compliance self-check of Area office support services team-
• Ensure that monthly reports are produced and that targets are met by the department, while being a link to the country office HR department -
• Ensure that quarterly tasks are completed on time (such as staff induction, Code of Conduct training and leave planning)
• Ensure that annual HR tasks are completed as per the Operations Handbook (e.g., Performance & Development Reviews)
• Streamline HR responses across departments (e.g., support on organogram development)
• Ensure the HR team fulfils daily tasks, such as recruitment, contract renewal/ amendments, timesheet submission and leave tracking
• Oversee the admin team to ensure follow up on routine tasks are carried out (office and guesthouse supplies, - phone credit purchase, utilities bill payments, rental and lease agreements, etc.)
Logistics and procurement support
• Ensure procurement procedures are followed - -
• Closely follow department KPIs and ensure that monthly report submissions are timely and of high quality
• advise fleet focal point and be decision maker for fleet movement and/or cancellations
• Have close relationship with the Country Supply Chain Manager to ensure each of the sub departments (procurement, fleet, assets, warehouse, and IT) have targets and are meeting them, in line with Operation Handbook procedures
• Primary budget holder for all support services lines
• Maintain Master budget for support costs
• Responsible for budget monitoring and forecasting for support service budgets
• Work with budget holders in proposal development
• Work with senior managers to budget monitor all grants on monthly basis
• Ensure that key annual finance tasks are completed (such as the annual reports)
• Work with finance and compliance team to ensure programme teams clearly understand compliance requirements
• Ensure that monthly finance tasks are completed (payroll, social security, Personal Income Tax, cashbooks and cash forecasts) and in line with Operations Handbook procedures
• Ensure efficient support is extended during internal and external audits.
• Ensure filing and archiving is in place and followed by all respective teams.
• Ensure DRC Dynamics ERP system is implemented as per guidance from Country office.
• Ensure all relevant staff get trained on DRC Dynamics ERP system respectively
Reporting to: Area Manager
Technical Line Manager: Head of Support Services –Country Office
Direct reports: Finance officer, Supply chain officer, Admin/HR officer.
Experience and technical competencies:
• At least3 years' experience in similar role (Preferably with finance background)
• At least 5 years' experience with people management
• At least 2 years of experience as Finance Manager
• Knowledge of project cycle management (preferred)
• Knowledge of supply chain management and procurement processes
• Knowledge of budget cycle and monitoring processes
• Knowledge of code of conduct principles and the HR systems for performance management
• Knowledge of key donor policy and compliance procedures
• Full professional proficiency in English
• Bachelor Degree in relevant area (preferably accountancy degree)
• Arabic (advantage)
-Country head of support services
-Field support services team
-Area Senior Management Team (Area SMT)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length:12 Months
Designation of Duty Station:Tikrit (with frequent travel to Baiji, Saniya, Shirgat & Balad)
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 12 April 2021
Note: qualified candidates who recently applied for that postion, will be considered automatically, no need to re-apply.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo