Business Support Associate - Resource Management G6
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of secondary school education is needed. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional areas is highly preferable.
- A minimum of six years of meaningful professional experience is required.
- Experience in supporting the preparation, monitoring and management of budgets and handling financial transactions.
- Has experience working with third-party vendors and/or auditors.
- Has experience in managing or supervising general administrative work.
- Proficiency (level C) in English is required.
- Experience in the UN, NGOs and/or International Organizations will be considered a plus.
The successful candidate will be the focal point for budget and resource analysis and programming activities, and the delivery of administrative support services. Also, you will work closely with Finance and colleagues in other functional areas to ensure the efficient, effective and right utilisation of funds.
This position will be under the supervision and mentorship of the Deputy Country Director.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
In this role, you will be responsible for two main areas:
- Contribute to planning, monitoring and processing administrative tasks related to procurement, travel management, inventory management, and human resources.
- Oversee the management of paper and electronic records within established procedures including office filing and reference system and incoming and outgoing correspondences, to ensure swift and easy data access of general management files as required.
- Support the provision of the full range of business support services to staff including the maintenance of personnel files, facilities management, and protocol, working in close coordination with internal and external counterparts.
- Adapt and update administrative processes, supporting the implementation of operating procedures, in order to contribute to the continuous improvement of administrative services in the area of responsibility.
II. Budget & Programming
- Contribute towards the development of activities, plans, processes and procedures ensuring compliance with wider budget programming policies and WFP standards.
- Review budget plans, supervise and analyse project financial performance and make recommendations in compliance with WFP financial policies and procedures to support financial analysis and optimisation of resources.
- Provide comprehensive analysis on fund and grant balances identifying surpluses and deficits, and suggest corrective measures, to support maximum fund utilization and decision-making process.
- Support pipeline management ensuring efficient monitoring, to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximise operational effectiveness; and alert supervisors to approaching target dates for unassigned funds and potential resource shortfalls or surpluses.
- Collate and analyse data, and contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports, to enable decision-making and consistency of information presented to senior management and external partners.
- Enter budget plans and revisions in the corporate systems, to ensure data is timely and accurately collected enabling easy access to information and supporting planning and decision-making.
- Monitor actions related to project closure and resource transfer and refer potential issues to the supervisors.
- Contribute ideas to senior officers for improvement to systems, techniques, tools and procedures to better supervise and handle budgets and funds.
- Provide mentorship to other support staff and contribute to their learning and development in budget planning, fund management and operational planning, to facilitate continuity and consistency in services delivered.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Knowledge of specialized common business practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high-quality support services.
- Ability to carry out data analysis and independently rectify problems requiring attention or make relevant recommendations to the Country Office management.
- Ability to monitor and record financial transactions.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered and only short-listed quaified candidated will receive an acknowledgement.
- Only open to citizens of Barbados or CARICOM Member States: Antigua & Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, the Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Haiti, Montserrat, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent $ the Grenadines, Suriname, and Trinidad & Tobago.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
14 April 2021
Please note that we review applications on a continuous basis, which is why we encourage you to send your applications as soon as possible.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.