The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
An overall plan and budget is developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each component. Requirements for international technical expertise of each component have been identified. In order to ensure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the project, long-term competent international technical advisors will be appointed as Component Managers to each of the nine components. Each Component Manager will be supported by a team of international consultants and experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
FAO-Saudi Arabia is seeking for consultants with relevant expertise in cross cutting fields of: farming systems, agricultural research and extension, training and capacity development, institutional/organizational development, partnership and results-based monitoring and reporting, agricultural technology, ICT, farm mechanization, postharvest technology, agricultural statistics, seed systems multiplication, plant genetic resources/tissue culture, plant protection, IPM, plant quarantine, irrigation management, rural finance, rural survey, rural labour market, gender analysis, and agro-ecology/conservation agriculture.
The Cross-cutting Consultants report to the Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for sustainable rural agriculture development and natural resources management.
Tasks and responsibilities:
The Consultants on cross-cutting areas and subjects of the project in coordination with the respective Component Technical Adviser and National Manager will:
- Undertake situation analysis and comprehensive sector review and benchmark, identify and promotes best practices, technologies, institutions and infrastructure for respective subject domains.
- Design specialized diagnostic studies and pilot test technical innovation to improve productivity, production efficiency, limit degradation, and improve natural resources conservation and productivity, ensure gender mainstreaming and support for sustained development in the target regions.
- Review, analyse and strengthen existing systems of data, statistics and information to support evidence based decision making and result based monitoring for sustainable rural and agriculture development, identify gaps and organise measures to bridge the same,
- Assess rural agriculture labor market and potential to create better employment opportunities in this sector for youth and women in the target regions,
- Provide technical support to ensure adoption of internationally accepted innovations and technologies and best practice in rural agriculture development,
- Help with developing enabling environment including through policies, rules and regulations and organizational development,
- Design and promote the adoption of result-based monitoring system in all aspects of rural agriculture development projects and activities,
- Contribute to, develop and implement a communication strategy to raise visibility of the project in the media and strengthen its outreach.
- Conduct gender analysis to understand and accommodate different needs/priorities and roles of women, men and youth and develop measures for mainstreaming gender in targeted interventions of the project.
- Assist the design and implementation of strategy to ensure gender mainstreaming in all rural agriculture development interventions.
- Review and assess existing irrigation systems and practices currently used by smallholders in the target regions and calculate crop water requirements for all targeted crops grown under the various farming systems.
- Benchmark best practices and technologies for rainwater harvesting and identify appropriate options for the various farming systems in the target regions.
- Conduct comprehensive smallholders’ farming systems analysis and classification for the selected commodities in the target regions.
- Establish and operate community seed system and modern nursery to produce and distribute healthy seedlings of the target commodities.
- Design and implement smallholder needs-based rural agriculture research, extension and advisory services programmes and centers for the target commodities.
- Develop and implement needs-based training programme to strengthen knowledge and skills of the stakeholders in various aspects of rural agricultural development.
- Conduct capacity needs assessment to evaluate the technical and institutional capacity of stakeholders in sustainable rural agricultural development and implement capacity development programme to fill capacity gaps.
- Assess institutional framework and diagnose existing rural development organizational structure within MoEWA and develop appropriate organizational structure for rural agricultural development in MoEWA.
- Develop and implement an IPM programme for control of pests and diseases and formulate a programme for improved plant quarantine services to smallholders.
- Identify, test and promote technologies for conservation and sustainable management of local grazing plant genetic resources.
- Assess the rural farming community for rural finance (institutional finance), study options, and possible strategies to provide small producers with access to such resources.
- Conduct field surveys, and collect, organize and analyze data and information for the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme.
- Carry out diagnostic assessment studies of rural labour market for the target regions to develop appropriate measures to address rural unemployment and internal migration.
- Design and implement programme of promoting adoption of advance farming technology and good management practices through the network of progressive farmers
- Baseline assessment conducted for the current status of rural agricultural development indicators adopting internationally recognized statistical methods and standards (output).
- Identify and promote adoption of appropriate farm mechanization and technologies for target crop production.
- Identify and promote agro ecological best agronomic practices and conservation agriculture practices among smallholders.
- Develop an ICT-based users’ friendly technology and innovative practices knowledge sharing platform for rural agriculture.
- Develop demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and north for sustainable rural agricultural development.
- Perform any other related activities assigned.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agricultural sciences, natural resources management, agronomy, plant protection, agricultural technology, agricultural extension, agricultural statistics, agriculture economics, social studies or any other related field.
- 12 years of relevant experience in rural agricultural development including at international level.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location and particularly in field positions.
- Extent and relevance of experience in respective subject domains.
- Familiarity with project management skills including familiarity with results frameworks, project work planning and budgeting;
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions.
- Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
- Proficiency in English is essential and familiarity with Arabic language is desirable.
- Work experience with international organizations and in technical cooperation projects supporting countries.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in animal health and disease control and related issues.
- Ability to provide technical and advisory services.