Are you ready to pursue an exciting opportunity with a progressive humanitarian organisation in a senior management role? Would you thrive working in one of the world’s most challening regions for complex humanitarian operations?
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara'a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
About the job
Responsible for all finance related tasks within geographical area of responsibility.
Manage finance and admin staff.
Ensure compliance with finance chapters of DRC’s operations Handbook.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead and manage the finance team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
• Support the development and implementation of financial management capacity building of staff
• In close cooperation with Managers in geographical area reinforce existing procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with guidelines of DRC’s Operations Handbook, internal guidelines and donor requirements
• Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors and internal reports to colleagues and HQ
• Ensure compliance with relevant country statutory and other financial obligations such as tax, levies and statutory returns
• Monthly financial briefings to relevant Manager
• Ensure thorough and effective budgetary control in the country programs
• Liaise with relevant Managers on key financial issues for all programs in the country, including co-funding, financial reporting, key variances and any remedial action
• Collecting cash forecasts from all Programme Managers and requesting funds in a timely manner
• Maintain a continuous overview of funding levels and pay particular attention to shared support costs, including staff salaries
• Ensure all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with Coordination staff and HQ
• Ensure monthly meetings are held with project managers to discuss key variances, reasons for these, and any remedial action that is required
• Prepare for local audits
• Contribute to the development of proposals with regards to budgeting in cooperation with Managers
• Contribute the development of country plans and Financial Results contracts in accordance with DRC Global Policies and guidelines that will ensure the regional and Country staff adhere to plans and monitor results against expected outcomes and indicators.
• Prepare Master Budget and, Follow-up/Quarterly MB status and Gap analysis report to HoSS/CD
DRC Dynamics ERP System
• Ensure DRC Dynamics is used to its full capacity
• Ensure proper application of ERP finance processes in the country
• Apply reports and data analytics from ERP system to improve performance in the country
• Ensure that Country ERP support is in place (i.e. super users)
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following
• Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
• Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
• Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
• Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
• At least 5 years' international experience in a senior financial management position
• At least 3 years' experience with people management
• Proven experience in managing large budgets
• Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
• Competence in providing technical guidance and training
• Proven experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities
• Working experience with relevant donors (e.g. UNHCR, ECHO, OFDA, WFP, DFID or BPRM guidelines)
• Advanced proficiency in Excel as well as experience working in a financial IT system
Master's degree in Finance/Accounting or Business Administration
- English – Advance Fluency level
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 1 year
Level: F Management
Expected Start date: 1st of May-2021
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 15th of April 2021.
Need further information?
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org