Investment Support Officer (multiple specializations)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Investment Centre (CFI) promotes investment in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
CFI is a multidisciplinary centre composed of four regionally focused services, namely Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Service, Asia and the Pacific Service, Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean Service, and Near East, North Africa, and West Africa Service.
The posts are located in Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Service (CFIA), Asia and the Pacific Service (CFIB), Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean (CFIC) and Near East, North Africa, and West Africa Service (CFIE).
Requested Technical Profiles (or Job Titles):
- Rural Finance Officer;
- Agribusiness/Food Systems Officer;
- Rural Institutions Officer;
- Rural Sociologist;
- Land Tenure Officer;
- Irrigation and Rural Infrastructure Engineer;
- Agricultural Officer;
- Forestry Officer;
- Fishery Officer;
- Animal Production and Health Officer;
- Natural Resources Management/ Climate Change Officer.
The Investment Support Officer reports either to the Chief, Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Service (CFIA), or the Chief, Asia and the Pacific Service (CFIB), or the Chief, Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean (CFIC), or the Chief, Near East, North Africa, and West Africa Service (CFIE).
Provision of technical expertise/assistance and support to capacity development for (i) the design of investment operations, in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to mobilize resources for food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing; and (ii) implementation support and evaluation of investment operations, in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
- Participates in multidisciplinary teams to assist governments in the identification and preparation of investment operations in the fields of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing, and participates in pre-appraisal and appraisal missions.
- Supports the implementation of investment operations and the preparation of final evaluation.
- Participates in the preparation of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing studies and strategies, in the formulation of national sector and/or sub-sector investment plans and programmes.
- Assist in capacity development activities in the areas of for food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment support to government staff, non-state actors and private sector organizations.
- Prepares reports in accordance with governments and financing partners’ requirements.
- Supports knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences, and interacts with international and national partners.
- Maintains relationships with relevant Strategic Programmes, FAO Technical Units and Decentralised Offices in order to ensure best synergies between investment, policy and innovation work in support to member countries.
- Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in economics, agricultural economics, agricultural sciences, environmental sciences, agribusiness management, natural resource management, irrigation and drainage engineering, rural infrastructure engineering, social sciences or a related field.
- Three years of relevant experience in conducting agricultural/rural sector/subsector analytical studies, and/or in planning, design, supervision of agricultural and rural investment operations, including elaboration of feasibility studies and implementation of agricultural and rural investment operations in developing countries and/or countries in transition.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of experience in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing analytical studies and programme evaluation.
- Extent and relevance of experience in participating in multidisciplinary teams for the preparation of strategies and sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or evaluation of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and value chain investment operations.
- Extent and relevance of experience in investment design, implementation support and evaluation procedures of FAO’s main development partners, in particular the World Bank, the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the African Development Bank and/or other Regional or National Banks.
- Relevance of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investments.
- Demonstrated capacity to write technical reports in English.
- Working knowledge of French for CFIA, French or Arabic for CFIE, and Spanish or Russian for CFIC would be an asset.