Volunteer Tax Preparer (REMOTE)
New York City (United States of America)
BACKGROUND & DESCRIPTION: The mission of the IRC is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future.
The IRC’s Program Quality and Innovation Unit assists offices which help newly arrived refugees and other low-income individuals reach self-sufficiency by finding entry-level employment and progress to living wage jobs; learn basic financial management skills and build assets; start small businesses; and access Earned Income Tax Credit. Under the supervision of the Tax Site Coordinator, Volunteer Tax Preparers will provide free, professional tax preparation services for low-income clients through IRC’s National Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. The program is offering services to clients in IRC offices located in Phoenix, AZ, Salt Lake City, UT, Denver, CO and Elizabeth, NJ. The IRC’s goal is to assist 4,000 taxpayers in preparing their returns in a safe, culturally, and linguistically appropriate manner – remotely.
COMMITMENT: January- April 2021 between 3-15 hours per week. Volunteer will need to supply his/her own home workspace, computer, internet access, etc.
• Complete all IRC and IRS mandated trainings, including the Volunteer Standards of Conduct Training and Ethics; the Volunteer Standards of Conduct certification; and complete the Intake/Interview & Quality Review certification.
• Gain Basic certification to prepare taxes, however, gaining Advanced certification is preferred. To help prepare more complicated returns, certification is needed at the Circular 230, Advanced, Military, Health Savings Accounts, Puerto Rico, Foreign Student, or International tax law levels. Prepare only returns that are within your certification level(s) and within the scope of the VITA/TCE Programs
• Prepare and provide high-quality tax returns to all taxpayers. Interview taxpayers using Form 13614-C, Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet, to determine if all income, deductions, and allowable credits are claimed.
• Engage the taxpayer when preparing the tax return, to ensure understanding of the information on the intake sheet.
• Advise the taxpayer that he/she is ultimately responsible for the information on the return.