The Construction Supervising Engineer provides oversight and support to construction works in all IRC field sites in adherence with IRC policies, procedures, guidelines, and standard government specifications. He/She will be the country construction focal person.
Under the supervision of the Supply Chain Coordinator, the Country Construction Engineer provides technical expertise, coordinate planning and implementation of constructions by IRC Uganda Country Program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in and provide technical /engineering input and costings (Bills of Quantities) for proposals with construction components.
- Develop technical drawings and Bills of Quantities (BOQ) for required Construction to guide procurement of construction services.
- Coordinate and support assessment of all rehabilitation works at IRC facilities and hired premises and appropriately advise.
- Advise on good environmental practices and controls at construction planning and during implementation to mitigate environmental impacts of the works.
- Review and recommend construction designs for approval and ensure these are in line with government standards.
- Review existing plans for accuracy and quality — and where possible suggest technical changes.
- Participate in procurement of construction related works, from tender preparation to evaluate and ensure adequate technical consideration are in place before award of construction contracts.
- Review and recommend all changes and adjustments and ensure these are warranted.
- Ensure compliance with IRC Safety policies and procedures in construction and implement site safety and hazard assessments for all sites.
- Ensure constructions are implemented incompliance with donor rules and regulations.
Monitoring, Supervision and Reporting
- Monitor and track constructions across all IRC field sites to ensure timely, cost effective and quality delivery of the works.
- Supervisee and Ensure IRC construction supervising staff conduct regular monitoring and supervision field sites, and these are documented.
- Verify completion and standards by signing completion certificates.
- Provide regular and periodic updates and reports on construction work as required by IRC.
- Manage constructions contracts and ensure these are delivered within budget, time and quality (standard specifications).
- Manage relations with contractors on behalf of IRC from inception to closure, ensuring that all parties adhere to the provisions of the contract.
- Lead review performance review of contractors as part of Procurement Committee
- Document any breaches by contractors and escalate to management accordingly.
- Supervise and follow up constructions to ensure timely, cost effective and quality delivery of the works.
- Supporting and liaising with IRC contractors to ensure good quality work standard are done as per the specification, requirement and standard of IRC & its funding agency.