RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, Seed breeder (N-21-21)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: N-21-21 RA/NRS/India RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, Seed breeder The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks a Research Associate (RA) in seed breeding to be part of the
implementation of the project: “Seed Secure Meghalaya: Establishment of low-cost formal and informal potato seed production system to enhance food security and income generation” in Meghalaya, Shillong.
The Project: “Seed Secure Meghalaya: Establishment of low-cost formal and informal potato seed production system to enhance food security and income generation” project is implemented by the Meghalaya Basin Management Agency (MBMA) and funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). CIP’s engagement is to provide technical backstopping, innovations, and capacity building along the entire potato seed value chain to increase its productivity, and improve the livelihoods of small-scale andmarginalfarmers, CIP will work in close collaboration withMeghalaya StateGovernment particularly Department of Horticulture, MBMA, CPRS, Shillong and private sector partners. About the role:
The Research Associate should be driven by the desire to achieve impact on high quality development interventions on low cost quality seed production in close coordination with DoH and CPRS. She/he will have overall responsibility for all aspects of project implementation and reporting. The assignment will include frequent travel to project districts in Meghalaya. The Research Associate will report to Project Manager and her/his major responsibility would be supervision of varietal evaluation and seed multiplication using rooted apical cutting (RAC) technology. This position will be based in Shillong, Meghalaya.
• Coordinate and interact with external partners thru the development of the research project to guarantee the correct execution and timing of the project.
• Evaluate and analyze the data collected in the research project to guarantee its accuracy and relevance to the project outline.
• Design and develop an experiment in according to variety of methods, availability and quantity of resources to contribute with the main research project.
• Analyze and evaluate facts and new experiment’s findings to contribute with the research analysis and publication results.
• Supervise research activities in different settings to guarantee the experiments implementation and execution is being follow correctly.
• Manage research data generated from field trials to maintain an accurate and updated database system.
• Produce progress reports of the experiments on regular basis to contribute with the data collection.
• Contribute with the elaboration and publication of papers in peer review journals. • Organize capacity building activities as training events and workshops to strengthen parties for mutual benefits. • Coordinate mainstreaming of gender sensitive project interventions, through support and promotion of gender through the project.
• Comply with applicable health and safety CIP policies and procedures.
What are we looking for?
• Masters or higher degree in Plant Breeding/Seed Technology/Horticulture/Vegetable Science or related areas.
• At least 6 years of experience in similar positions or coordinating multi-institutional projects. • Strong understanding of integrating gender and other social equity considerations into project design and delivery.
• Experience of coordinating and technical reporting.
• Good record of scientific and technical publications.
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience of working in international organizations particularly CGIAR institutes.
• Work experience on potato will be considered added advantage.
• Advanced written and oral communication skills in English and fluent in Hindi. • Willingness to travel frequently within Meghalaya.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improving nutrition and well-being, and gender equity for poor people in roots, tubers farming and food systems in the developing world. • CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in developing countries and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
• One-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on April 23, 2021 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position WILL NOT have contact with children or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.