Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development. UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The incumbent is assigned all or part of the following duties which are performed according to organizational needs and structure:
Background Information – Philippines
UNOPS Philippines was established in early 2016 to support, develop and oversee UNOPS' growing portfolio of programmes and projects in the Philippines. The office currently provides implementation services to a range of projects where we work very closely with development partners, the Government and the Supreme Court focusing on the Governance/Justice, health and infrastructure sector.
The office is based in Manila, Philippines with a project site in the Guiuan area.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners and is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Background Information – Job Specific The Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit (HEAL) COVID-19 project (2020 - mid 2022) funded by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) aims to assist in scaling-up the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) emergency response of the Philippines Government while strengthening the Philippine Health System to become more cost-effective and sustainable.
Through this project, the Department of Health (DOH) will procure through UNOPS emergency medical supplies, laboratory equipment and consumables, and fully outfitted laboratories and isolation wards for the targeted molecular laboratories and hospitals, as well as procurement and installation of equipment for infectious waste treatment using microwave technology housed in 20 feet prefabricated containers.
The overall objective of this project is to strengthen the preparedness and response capacity of the Philippines Health System in regard to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19, and in the longer term to become more cost-effective and sustainable.
The availability of the key equipment and new infrastructure will strengthen the ability of the health system in the Philippines to effectively treat COVID-19 cases.
The expected outcomes of the project are:
- Strengthened preparedness and response capacity of the Philippines health system in regard to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19;
- Reduced COVID-19 transmission and increased safety of the local populations.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Manager, the Mechanical Engineer is required to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
- Coordination and supervision of installation of the mechanical and plumbing services of projects;
- Assist the project team and logistics division in procurement of mechanical machineries and equipment;
- Review mechanical installation and services in buildings; Ventilations, fire fighting & safety, Air Conditioning, HVAC and ducting systems, Hot and Cold Water, sanitary, drainage and waste management mechanical systems;
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of mechanical/plumbing engineering services (specifications, BOQs, rates, test reports, etc.) ;
- Design and produce mechanical and plumbing systems design calculations, drawings and scope of works;
- Review the design of mechanical and plumbing services of projects;
- Review and approve Submittals of Technical Material and Shop Drawings submitted by the Contractors for mechanical and plumbing services of projects;
- Manage testing, commission, training and handover of mechanical and plumbing deliverables to clients.
- Specifically, the Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for the following substantive tasks.
- Prepare design briefs and the design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary,
- Preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing as stipulated by the Project Manager,
- Work closely with other Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design,
- Review and ensure the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs,
- Carry out design of services for projects according to the Client’s Design requirement and as per international standards and codes of practices,
- Monitor delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible late delivery prior to the event,
- Carry out site inspections and assessments as required and prepare reports only when required,
- Proactively manage the design/review projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints,
- Liaise with international clients and address requirements,
- Coordinate the works and submissions with all other disciplines; Architectural and Structural Design Engineers and Quantity Surveyors (QS),
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design,
- Carry out technical reviews as appropriate,
- Review and certify Building Services design documentations as a third party independent body when required,
- Co-ordinate the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned,
- Ability to use drawings software such as Autodesk –AutoCAD and Revit.
- Ability to use standard mechanical & plumbing engineering systems design softwares.
- Manage mechanical and plumbing engineering related material archiving,
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to mechanical works,
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or related fields.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- License/Board Certification in Electrical Engineering is desirable.
- Prince2, PMP or similar project management certification is an asset
- At least one (1) year of experience in Mechanical and Plumbing systems design, supervision and construction for medium to large scale construction projects in the Philippines is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher) is desirable.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the positions field of expertise. Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA 8/ ICS 8
- Contract duration: Four (4) months.
- Duty station: Manila, Philippines. Manila is a family duty station.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.