The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At-work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Years of war in Syria have pushed millions from their homes and into poverty, and millions more have become refugees in Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, and Iraq and further afield. Equally complex is the emergency in Iraq, where waves of fighting and displacement have overwhelmed infrastructure and services and pushed communities to the brink. The economic, social, and health effects of these dual crises have changed the entire region. In the Middle East & North Africa Region (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Libya) IRC responds to displaced people’s acute and longer-term needs with integrated programs that improve health and safety, prioritize children’s education, foster economic wellbeing, and empower communities to regain control over their lives.
The Department Manager is responsible for a wide range of administrative and office support services for the MENA Regional Team.The Department Manager will maintain excellent management and communications systems to enable the team to perform at the highest possible levels.The position reports to the Regional HR Director and works closely with Regional Vice President, Regional Leads and Country Directors.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide office management support to the MENA Regional office inclusive of general office organization, monitoring and maintaining office supplies, handling mail and shipments and filing system as required.
- Organize all inter-departmental meetings inclusive of setting agendas, taking notes and following up on action plans as required.
- Follow up on travel details, visas, accommodations, and coordinate schedules for visitors to the region as required.
- Provide high-level administrative support to the Regional Vice President inclusive of managing the calendar, providing support in email management, managing travel and tracking key initiatives.
- Support the Regional Management Team in preparing payment request and reimbursements.
- Gracefully and diplomatically represent IRC internally and externally.
- Maintain and update the region’s external contact list as well as the internal regional mailing lists.
- Under the direction of the Regional Vice President, support with written communication, both in Arabic and English.
- Under the direction of the Regional Vice President, translate selected material from English to Arabic and vice versa as required.
- Support in the preparation of internal communication as requested by Regional Vice President and Regional Management Team.
- Maintain a Regional Calendar of events – both external and internal.
- Assist with the preparation and execution of engagements and events run by IRC in the region if required.
- Organize and execute regional conferences and workshops as assigned, inclusive of arranging suitable dates, times, venues, travel, catering and reconciliation of expenses against approved budgets.
- Capture key takeaways from events and follow up on action items.
- Oversee office space planning and serve as a liaison with the Support Services Unit and other departments to plan and organize effective office space.
- Identify gaps and manage systems/ process improvement to enhance the efficiency of regional inter-departmental work.
- Under the direction of the Regional Vice President, assist with other departmental needs and special projects.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:MENA Regional HR Director
Position directly supervises:N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
MENA Regional Vice President and all Regional Functional Directors and Technical Advisors
Country Programs Teams: Country Directors and Senior Management Teams
Frequent contact with HQ & Global Staff
INGO Counterparts, Legal Counsel, Governmental & official entities.