Intern, Renewable Energy Markets and Technology
Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Innovation and Technology Center (IITC) Division
Publication/Transmission Date\: 12 April 2021
Deadline for Application\: 25 April 2021 (at midnight, Abu Dhabi Local Time)
Title and Grade\: Intern, Renewable Energy Markets and Technology
Indicative Remuneration\: Monthly stipend
Duty Station\: Remote Internship
Date for Entry on Duty\: As soon as possible
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organisation headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENA’s mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 163 Members (162 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 21 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
The Agency implements its mandate with the view to sustainable development, increased energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. The Agency implements its mandate with the view to sustainable development, increased energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. To achieve this goal, IRENA' Innovation and Technology Centre (IITC) has provided a range of insights on possible paths for such a transformation, spanning multiple geographic areas, sectors and topics.
Based on its knowledge and expertise in different facets of the energy transition, IRENA is providing support for countries in enhancing the renewable energy ambition in their climate action plans and supporting the implementation of climate action plans which set out the actions that countries plan to undertake to achieve the Paris agreement’s objectives to limit the global temperatures rise to well below 2°C.
Objectives of the Internship Assignment
The internship post is located in the renewable energy markets and technology sub-programme within the Innovation and Technology division. The intern will provide support to technical work on climate action support in 2021, particularly in the implementation of technical missions for selected countries taking place in 2021.
In line with the objectives outlined above, the intern is expected to perform a range of technical and organizational functions, including but not limited to\:
- Support energy system analysis to identify renewable energy solutions relevant for climate action plans, as well as on the role of renewables within that process;
- Support the preparation of advice on the prospects of the future energy systems relevant for climate action in relevant regions such as Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and Caribbean and the Pacific;
- Support internal and external stakeholder engagement and communication at a variety of organisational levels (e.g. national, international), and in a variety of contexts;
- Support the development of inputs as well as outputs related to the outreach and dissemination of climate action support activity, including but not limited to\: technical and non-technical reports, workshop presentations and outcome documents, and a wide range of communication materials;
- Perform other duties as required.
During the internship period, the successful applicant will develop a deep understanding of the climate action processes in several countries including in Africa and Small island states, including, in particular, issues related to its use in policy making to achieve national and global energy and climate targets. The intern will also be able to further develop their skills related to research, analytical thinking, drafting, meeting organization, communications and social media.
The internship is for a period of six months commencing on/about as soon as possible. The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the programme. The maximum duration of the internship is nine months, subject to the intern' continued university enrollment and performance.
- Candidates shall be advanced in their undergraduate studies or be enrolled in a Master's or doctorate programme at a recognized university at the time of application. Recent graduates may also be included in the programme provided the start date of the internship is less than six months since their graduation.
- Candidates must be fluent in English (both oral and written) and demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills.
- Competencies\: Candidates should demonstrate solid teamwork, planning and organizing, professionalism and communications skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- Preference is given to candidates studying in the fields of renewable energy engineering, energy system analysis, or other related fields with good understanding of renewable energy technologies.
- Candidates should indicate in their cover letter the period of availability.
IRENA internships may be remunerated if an intern is not already sponsored by their government, university or institution. In such cases, the intern is requested to indicate their sponsorship in their cover letter.
The selected intern will work remotely on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) as per the working hours of IRENA premises in Bonn, Germany.
For more detailed information about IRENA Internship Programme, please visit the internships section on our recruitment webpage.
Qualified candidates must apply for the above-mentioned vacancy on-line, through IRENA’s recruitment platform, Taleo by submitting a complete and comprehensive CV and a letter of interest.
IRENA wishes to encourage applications from female candidates, especially from nationals of LDC and SIDS countries.
Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for an interview and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process.
 If the selected intern is not otherwise sponsored, they will be remunerated at a monthly rate of EUR 900.