Health Education MSW Intern
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. In more than 40 countries and over 20 U.S. cities, our dedicated teams provide clean water, shelter, health care, education and empowerment support to refugees and displaced people.
CONNECTION TO MISSION:
Navigating the healthcare system in the United States can be very challenging for our refugee newcomers and providing health orientations and ongoing health education is an essential part of how the IRC supports newly resettled refugee families. The Health Education MSW Intern will assist the Health Liaison in facilitating small health education groups that covers a wide range of health and wellness topics such as nutrition/food access, parenting groups, and mind and body wellness. The intern will also be responsible for providing ongoing one on one general health education to clients as well as administering monitoring and evaluating surveys ensuring the educational groups are meeting the needs of each participant. In addition, the health education intern will assist the Health Liaison in organizing community health workers and supporting grassroots health initiatives.
TYPE OF SERVICE: Both Indirect and Direct Service
TIME COMMITMENT: Dependent on MSW program requirements
Please note this is an unpaid internship.
- Develop and assist community partners in facilitating health education groups such as nutrition/food security groups, parenting groups, and mind/body wellness support groups.
- Provide support to group members through one on one debriefing sessions and continued health education.
- Assist Health Liaison in providing psycho-education support to client’s and connecting them to therapeutic resources.
- Help clients in accessing and navigating public benefit programs.
- Make referrals for clients to relevant community partners and services.
- Maintain excellent written and digital documentation of services.
- Accompany Health Liaison to trainings and community discussions scheduled during internship.