Project Development Officer
Lyons (United States of America)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The World Health Organization's Academy (‘The Academy') is a new state-of-the-art learning institution that aims to revolutionize lifelong learning for health impact and reach million learners around the world. Based in Lyon, France, the Academy hub will offer a blend of learning modalities; digital, in-person learning via the hub in Lyon or through the campus network, as well as ‘portable learning labs' designed for contexts where participants cannot travel or access the digital learning platform. The Academy is an integral part of the WHO under the management authority of the Director-General. The overall goal of the Academy is to advance the learning and human development component of WHO's General Programme of Work (GPW) and health sustainable development goals.
More specifically the Academy will:
- Enhance the competencies of millions of people through cutting-edge digital learning and hybrid learning, including leaders, practitioners, catalysts and lay people.
- Transition the WHO to a learning organization and strengthen the competencies of over 7,000 staff to advance the WHO priorities and goals.
- Improve the effectiveness, efficiency and impact of lifelong learning supported by WHO across three-levels of the organization.
The WHO Academy will deliver advanced digital and in-person learning to WHO workforce, health policy practitioners, health workers and other individuals. The Academy will be officially launched in May 2021 as a globally accessible school for the future which combines the latest technologies in digital and remote learning with advancements in adult learning science to offer innovative, personalised and multilingual learning that meets priority needs.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Product planning and management:
- Using an Agile and lean product management and development framework to ensure regular and timely delivery of the operating plan, including supporting to define and deliver product road maps.
- Support and organize agile working meetings of the academy.
- Collaborate to identify, manage and mitigate risks and issues between different workstreams.
- Prepare and disseminate progress report.
Agile knowledge and product process management:
- Document and support best practice in agile and lean methodology to share with the team.
- Support effective knowledge management and product evaluation across workstreams including libraries and reporting systems.
- Co-ordinate in the product development process between various workstream with focus on the below product deliverables:
- Course creation and management
- Quality and standard management
- Certification management
- Learning systems
- Learning Prototypes and proof of concepts
- Define, manage and improve product management process of the WHO Academy.
- Develop and implement effective communication protocols across the teams.
- Support product leads to manage project deliverables, stakeholder communication and effective system of project governance.
- Empower and engage the team to ensure a meaningful contribution, high quality output and sustainable pace.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Essential: A first university degree in a subject such as IT, business, financial management or other field related to this position. Scaled Agile Framework Certification / Scrum Master Certification. Certification in LEAN.
Desirable: An advanced university degree (Master's level or above) in one of the above-mentioned areas.
Essential: At least 5 years of relevant experience in the area of product management. Demonstrated and hands on experience in product development. Exposure at the international level. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate: Experience working with teams within an Agile and Lean framework. Track record of continuous improvement within projects. Experience in operational or business process analysis, design and optimization. Experience of product lifecycle management. Experience working on Learning domains and systems.
Desirable: Experience within the context of lifelong learning and/ or digital learning courses. Experience working a multilateral or familiarity with large, complex institutions.
Candidates will be expected to be able to: Product analytics, strong skillsets in KPI definition and management Knowledge on various communication protocol techniques and principles. Familiarity with the digital online education market Planning and organizational skills Concrete skills in the area of project management and product development Strong interpersonal skills to build positive relationships and to engage constructively in a multicultural setting Demonstrate sound judgement combined with a focus on professional adaptability and the ability to innovate Working knowledge on Interdepartmental collaboration projects are products. show empathy and respect for diversityStrong Knowledge of Scrum, Kanban, XP and Lean product development principles. Sound skills in Oracle based ERP systems.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Setting an example
Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Desirable: Expert knowledge of French.
WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 62,120 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 2733 per month for the duty station indicated above. Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link: http://www.who.int/employment/en/. Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- For WHO General Service staff who do not meet the minimum educational qualifications, please see e-Manual III.4.1, para 220.