Administrative and Finance Assistant (G5)
Vacancy no.: CAIRO/DC/G/2021/11
Publication date:15 April 2021
Application deadline (midnight local time): 14 May 2021
Job ID: 5950
Organization Unit: DWT/CO-Cairo
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of fund)
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
While forcibly displaced persons face specific vulnerabilities, including psychological trauma, lack of opportunity and protection risks, host communities also struggle to pursue their own development efforts in an environment that has been transformed by a large influx of newcomers. As displacement has become increasingly protracted, responses are focusing more on durable solutions backed by more dignified, inclusive and comprehensive programmes for refugees and the communities that host them.
In response to the challenges facing both host communities and refugees, a new partnership initiative titled: ‘PROSPECTS - Partnership for improving Prospects for host communities and forcibly displaced persons’, has been launched by the Government of the Netherlands that brings together the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the International Labour Organization (ILO), the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Bank. The Partnership has a four-year initial time horizon (2019-2023) where partners will join their efforts to develop a new paradigm in responding to forced displacement crises in 8 countries (Egypt, Ethiopia, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Sudan, and Uganda).
The overall objective of PROSPECTS in Egypt is to improve the living standards and inclusiveness of refugees, asylum-seekers and vulnerable host communities, by contributing to the expansion of socio-economic opportunities through better education and mainstreamed protection interventions.
With a geographical focus on Greater Cairo, Alexandria, and Damietta, PROSPECTS Egypt will work under three main pillars. The first pillar, Education and Learning focuses on increasing the number of forcibly displaced persons, children on the move and host communities with quality education and training. The second pillar on Employment with Dignity seeks to increase the number of forcibly displaced persons, children on the move (i.e. youth) and host communities with enhanced livelihoods and/or employment in decent work through improvements in labour market governance supporting transition to and entry into employment and formalisation. The third pillar on Protection and Inclusion aims at increasing protection, social protection and inclusion for forcibly displaced persons, children on the move and host communities through strengthening of legal, policy and enabling environment for protection, social protection and inclusion.
2. REPORTING LINE
Under the overall responsibility of the Decent Work Team /Country Director of Cairo, the incumbent will perform duties under the direct supervision of the PROSPECTS Country Programme Manager.
1. Provide administrative support on the activities’ implementation: meetings, procurement of goods and services, travel and missions, and seminars, and all other tasks relevant financial and administrative task relevant to the programme’s activities implementation. For example, preparing budgets, coordinating travel and lodging, paying DSA, recruitment and payment of consultants and services providers, and drafting relative correspondence.
2. Assist the National Programme Coordinators in preparing project budgets, project document revisions, budgets for activities and expenditure forecasts. Assist and guide project management in monitoring project funds as well as in maintaining the internal financial controls of projects;
3. Maintain financial records for the project and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for daily transactions and reports on the programme`s activities
4. On the programme’s activities implementation level, perform duties relating to the procurement of items and preparing all related administrative documents.
5. Support the Programme Senior Administrative and Finance Assistant to brief staff, experts and/or consultants on administrative procedures. Respond to queries from inside and outside the organisation. Participate in internal meetings to provide information on administrative matters.
6. When requested, provide support to Cairo office in the organisation and preparation of events, and special meetings, and make all important administrative arrangements and facilities for conducting workshops and seminars.
7. Collect quotations; prepare Purchase Orders (POs), external collaboration and service contracts, and agreements with partners. Assist in issuing and monitoring of external collaboration contracts and service contracts. Ensure timely discharge of financial responsibilities of the project’s contractual obligations to third parties based on ILO rules;
8. Process contracts for financial clearance and payment. Assist in drafting terms of reference for project external collaboration and service contracts; ensure all supporting documents are attached, under the guidance of the Supervisor.
9. Draft correspondence and reports, maintain and update the related databases on the above administrative operations.
10. Perform other relevant duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Completion of secondary school education, plus formal training in accounting, finance or business administration from a recognized commercial school or equivalent.
5 years of related experience in financial and administrative work, and some training in an administrative field. Including office experience in records keeping and processing of information and basic knowledge or report writing. Good financial and administrative knowledge for project implementation. Experience in working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, in particular Finance modules would be an added advantage.
Excellent command of English and good working knowledge of Arabic.
• Knowledge of financial and administrative management processes, experience with financial rules and procedures. Knowledge of operations in an UN organization would be an advantage;
• Knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems;
• Ability to work in stakeholder engagement and communications (organization of events, preparation of press briefs, etc.);
• Ability to obtain services from other work unities inside or outside the office for the completion of tasks;
• Proficient in basic computer software (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Reader) and ability to use other software packages required by the Office;
• Must display high standards of ethical conduct;
• Ability to deal with confidential matters with discretion;
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently;
• Ability to and to work under pressure, quickly, precisely, and take initiative and responsibility
• Ability to evaluate correspondence and inquiries for best course of action;
• Ability to respond to work related inquiries in an appropriate manner;
• Ability to organize own work; and
• Must demonstrate responsible behaviour and attention to detail;
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of complex administrative guidelines and procedures as well as the full range of administrative services within support areas such as HR, Finance and Procurement.
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
“Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable but not selected for this position can also be offered to be assigned on another temporary position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position”.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ILO People. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for assessment will be contacted
- Candidates who pass the interview and have good capabilities as may be recommended by the panel, may get selected for similar positions
- The Office reserves to itself the right to appoint candidates at a level below the level of the advertised post depending on their experience
- Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable for this position can also be offered to be assigned on a TEMPORARY position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position