ICT Specialist (Senior Site Reliability Engineer)
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Global Service Center (UNGSC) is a global provider for IT services in United Nations Secretariat and provides IT service for Peacekeeping missions, UN HQ, UN Agencies, funds and programs.
The ICT Specialist (Senior Site Reliability Engineer)'s culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving, and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Summary of key functions:
- Site Reliability Engineer
- Technical Lead
- Knowledge Management
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the ICT Specialist (Senior Site Reliability Engineer) will work under Chief, Hybrid Cloud Computing Group and will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Site Reliability Engineer:
- Lead infrastructure projects to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Proactively review processes and procedures for automation opportunities.
- Implement automation tools and frameworks (CI/CD pipelines).
- Optimize the organization computing architecture.
- Operate Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services cloud and on-prem infrastructure at data.
- Ensure operations are carried according to service management and security organization frameworks.
- Help to architect and build automated solutions, including infrastructure management and monitoring, new technology integrations and data center migrations.
- Provide technical expertise and act as Subject Matter Expert to solve complex problems on infrastructure activities.
- Participate in on-call rotations.
2. Technical Lead:
- Provide guidance to other team members on managing end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services, on building automation to prevent problem recurrence, and on building automated responses for non-exceptional service conditions.
- Manage a team of technology experts in Infrastructure technologies.
- Manage prioritization of team tasks as per guidelines from management.
3. Knowledge Management:
- Continually explore, evaluate and recommend advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
4. Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Impact of Results:
The result of work of the ICT Specialist (Senior Site Reliability Engineer) impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO (Department of Peace Operations) and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Telecommunications, Engineering, Statistics, or relevant field.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor's degree or evquivalent) in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- VMware Certified Professional certifications.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure certifications.
- PRINCE2 certification.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment is required.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience with UNIX environments in complex and multilocation environments (e.g. Red Hat, HP-UX, Ubuntu, SUSE, etc) is required.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience with virtualization and related technologies in complex and multilocation environments (e.g. VMware, VMware SRM, etc).
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with Infrastructure as Code, preferably Terraform
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with configuration management systems like Ansible
- Experience with working on cloud-based infrastructure, preferably Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS) is highly desirable.
- Experience with containerization in a production environment including container orchestration is desirable.
- Experience producing technical documentation to support projects and initiatives is desirable.
- Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is required;
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff
Contract level: P3
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.