Senior Research Associate
Senior Research Associate
The International Potato Center (CIP) is looking for a Senior Research Associate with experience in NIRS to provide guidance to the quality and nutrition breeding in potato and sweetpotato areas. NIRS is important in all CIP sweetpotato breeding programs in Africa and in Peru, and the calibrations need to be transferred across the programs. One of the most important tasks is to keep all NIRS up to date, bringing the spectra together and doing a global annual update.
The Position: The selected candidate will be based in Uganda, Kampala. He/she will work closely with the sweetpotato and potato breeders in CIP breeding programs and will report to the Quality and Nutrition Expert in Lima, Peru.
• Lead the annual calibration of NIRS and XRF machines.
• Develop and implement novel assays for additional breeding targets as needed.
• Provide annual trainings and capacity building for technical staff on best practices in sample processing and analysis.
• Take lead in maintenance of freeze dryers and other equipment in the laboratory.
• Coordinate procurement of laboratory consumables and spare parts for the lab equipment. • Facilitate data curation from the laboratories.
• Develop or revise laboratory workflows.
• Lead the prediction of quality traits for the new varieties.
• Advice on the timely development of calibration equations for prediction of nutritional composition of raw and processed samples.
• Develop phenolics profiles in potato and sweetpotato.
• Contribute in the assessment of sensory traits for breeding purposes.
• Create tools for rapid field assessment of nutrients in large populations.
• Contribute to fund raising efforts as requested.
What are we looking for?
• MSc in the area of analytical chemistry, preferably with knowledge in multivariate data analysis methods.
• At least 8 years of analytical laboratory experience.
• Experienced in NIR and XRF spectroscopy and reference methods.
• Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral.
• Communications skills in Portuguese is a plus.
• Analytical and target oriented.
• Ability to work independently and also act as a valuable team player.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is a global and reputable international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improving nutrition and well-being, and gender equity for poor people in roots, tubers farming and food systems in the developing world.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a global partnership that unites international organizations engaged inresearchaboutfoodsecurity.CGIARresearchaimstoreduce rural poverty, increasefood security, improve human health and nutrition, and sustainable management of natural resources.
What are we offering?
• Excellent working environment. • Generous compensation package commensurate with experience. • Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Ugandan nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for a one-year (with a 3-month probation period) possibility of renewal, subject to availability of funding.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/) and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on May 12, 2021 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This position WILL NOT have contact with children or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply