Consultancy: Communications, writing and social media consultant - Education Section, PD, NYHQ/Home based - Req # 539865
New York City (United States of America)
the consultant will work under the supervision of the Senior Education Adviser and team leader of the Management, Advocacy and Partnerships team in the Education Section, and in close collaboration with other team members in a strategic and supportive role to produce high quality communications products, writing pieces and social media plans and activities to support the Education Section’s priority areas and achieve results for children
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope.
Consultancy Title: Education Consultancy, Communications, writing and social media consultant
Section/Division/Duty Station: Education Section, PD – NYHQ (remote)
Duration: 8 months; 197 days; 1 June 2021 – 28 Feb 2022
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments. UNICEF has over 12,000 staff in more than 145 countries.
The Education Section in New York works to strengthen advocacy for equitable, quality education at the global level. It is influential in shaping the education agenda through engagement and strategic leadership on the most pressing issues for the sector. UNICEF requires a Communications, writing and social media consultant to produce high quality communications products, writing pieces and social media plans and activities to support the Education Section’s priority areas – Reimagine Education, education in emergencies, girls’ education, foundational literacy and numeracy and rapid assessment and dissemination of learning outcomes.
Terms of Reference / Deliverables
In close collaboration the consultant will work under the supervision of the Senior Education Adviser and team leader of the Management, Advocacy and Partnerships team in the Education Section, and in close collaboration with other team members in a strategic and supportive role to produce high quality communications products, writing pieces and social media plans and activities to support the Education Section’s priority areas and achieve results for children as follows:
- Prepare knowledge management products for external audiences
- Produce written and visual content for UNICEF’s Education webpages
- Develop and implement communications plans to support Education Section priorities and events
- Prepare advocacy messages for Education Section strategic documents, briefs and events
- Write blog posts, human interest stories and case studies to highlight impact and achievements of Education Section activities
- Manage Education Section social media accounts
- Design social media packages to promote UNICEF Education Section priorities and engagement with partners
- Amplify human interest stories and case studies on Education Section priority areas on Twitter and social media
- Support the Management, Advocacy and Partnerships Team within the Education Section as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree) in communications, social sciences or related relevant area.
- A combined minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience, writing, communications and/or social media management at the national and/or international levels in the development field and/or in a global private sector company is required.
- Excellent writing skills for a variety of media.
- Strong understanding of education communications and advocacy areas.
- Experience working with UNICEF in the design of education-related advocacy and communication assets is a plus.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a rapidly-changing work environment
- Experience with, or in, multilateral institutions, UNICEF or another UN Agency, Fund or Programme is an asset. Knowledge of UNICEF context essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English is required, a good working knowledge of another UN language is an asset
- Completed profile in UNICEF's e-Recruitment system and provide Personal History Form (P11) Upload copy of academic credentials
- Financial proposal that will include:
your daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference
- travel costs and daily subsistence allowance, if internationally recruited or travel is required as per TOR.
- Any other estimated costs: visa, health insurance, and living costs as applicable.
- Indicate your availability
- Any emergent / unforeseen duty travel and related expenses will be covered by UNICEF.
- At the time the contract is awarded, the selected candidate must have in place current health insurance coverage.
- Payment of professional fees will be based on submission of agreed satisfactory deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
U.S. Visa information:
With the exception of the US Citizens, G4 Visa and Green Card holders, should the selected candidate and his/her household members reside in the United States under a different visa, the consultant and his/her household members are required to change their visa status to G4, and the consultant’s household members (spouse) will require an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to be able to work, even if he/she was authorized to work under the visa held prior to switching to G4.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. View our competency framework at: Here
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, race, sexual orientation, nationality, culture, appearance, socio-economic status, ability, age, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.