Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 3CLED0035RP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Santiago
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 21-May-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), and the direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Office in Santiago de Chile and Regional Bureau for Education in Latin America and the Caribbean, the incumbent will assist the Director of the Office in the management and coordination of UNESCO´s regional education programme in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). To this end, s/he will carry out the following duties:
• Participate in the conceptualization, design, planning, development, coordination, monitoring and implementation of the Field Office’s Education Strategy and its corresponding programmes, projects and activities taking the lead in one or more programmatic areas as required.
• Identify focus areas within the Member States' national priorities, and when requested by national authorities, propose alignment of these priorities with UN (Education for Sustainable Development 2015) and development partners’ approaches and strategies, proposing linkages for UNESCO’s education initiatives at the national, regional and global levels, identifying and proposing inter-sectoral collaboration opportunities in close cooperation with others.Long Description
• Identify and develop both internal and external collaborative project proposals based on needs; define and revise project requirements and specifications in line with goals and priorities and project quality criteria; conduct feasibility studies and draft reports.
• Coordinate the inputs to UNESCO´s overall programme for education in LAC, liasing closely with the education officers and Directors of UNESCO Field Offices and Institutes in the region.
• Assist in the collection, analysis and the synthesis of consolidated inputs from the LAC region for the education components of reports to UNESCO´s governing bodies (General Conference and Executive Board).
• Analyse and synthesize information on UNESCO education programme in LAC for external stakeholders under E2030, draft inputs for the country and regional UN teams on UNESCO activities.
• Monitor progress of the education programme in the region against work plans and budgets taking proactive action to ensure objectives are achieved; provide strategic guidance on programme issues.
• Assist the Director in her representative function by maintaining contact with the UNESCO National Commissions, Permanent Delegations and National authorities; organising events and seminars to promote the visibility of UNESCO; design and follow up on agreements and commitments with national and international partners such as UN agencies, NGOs. line Ministries, etc.
• Assist the Director in general internal and external coordination tasks.
• Represent the office as necessary in UNCT (UN Country Team) and Regional UN mechanisms, while preparing and providing inputs and leading initiatives when relevant.
• Prepare reports in a timely manner as required by HQ.
• Assist in the preparation of institutional presentations as well as for director’s participation in different venues.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, public policies, social sciences or closely related areas.
- Minimum 4 years of progressively relevant professional experience performing a similar technical and coordination functions in relation to education policies, of which preferably 2 years at the international level.
- Practical and relevant experience in using planning, monitoring and evaluation tools in education projects and programmes.
- Demonstrated experience in resource mobilisation through negotiation and effective engagement with development partners and donors.
- Excellent coordination, interpersonal and negotiating skills and ability to network with a range of partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership management and organisational skills.
- Proven ability to draft high quality, clear, concise documents and reports.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively and persuasively.
Excellent knowledge of education and socio-economic systems in of the LAC region.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and Spanish.
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D or equivalent) in education, public policies or related areas.
- Demonstrated professional experience in management, design and coordination of education and public policies.
- Proven experience in a field duty station in providing expert advice in educational policy, reform and strategic planning, preferably in the LAC region.
- Experience with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the UN system.
- Good knowledge of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Familiarity with the work and functioning of the UN System including key mechanisms such as the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), UN Country Team (UNCT) mechanisms, Delivering as One (DAO) and UN Joint Programming and UN inter-agency initiatives.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Good knowledge of French.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.