UN Dispensary Nurse
Juba (South Sudan)
The UN level 1 clinic in Juba, South Sudan provides access to health services for over 5,000 willUN staff including dependents. He/She will report to the health manager
Duties and Responsibilities
· Responds to emergency calls and assists Medical Officers.
· Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate, documents case findings.
· Assist to the medical officer on the management, organization and coordination of the fever clinic, including isolation ward, etc at the duty station.
· Assist the medical officer in the follow up and tracking of the positive cases and close contacts
· Performs point of care diagnostic and screening tests.
· Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic; provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician, as indicated.
· Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
· Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs; participates in work environment assessment with special emphasis to the prophylaxis of the relevant diseases of the outbreak,
· Assists Head Nurse in all her/his activities as required.
· In the UN Clinics administered by UNDP and Regional commission acts as Head Nurse.
· Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized.
· Ensures proper filing of medical and other records.
· Evaluates, orders and maintains an efficient inventory and stock control of medications/vaccines and other medical supplies and equipment.
· Assumes all supervisory and medico-administrative duties as delegated by the health manager
· Performs other related duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
Staff across the Organization
Personnel in office of Staff Counsellor
Physicians and nurses outside the UN
Representatives of pharmaceutical/medical supply companies.
Delegates and NGO Representatives
Assists in the implementation of preventive and medical actions, and responses related to disease outbreak crisis. Provides quality nursing services that contribute to good physical and mental health of the staff of the Organisation
- Professionalism: Knowledge of clinical, occupational and travel nursing. Formal training in CPR and, preferably, in BCLS and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care. Knowledge of major medical office equipment and ability to use them in emergency situations. Knowledge of use of ventilator machine and management of critical patient in respiratory distress. Knowledge of point of care testing. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience
Registered Professional Nurse with high school diploma and who is a graduate of either an accredited baccalaureate nursing programme or an accredited diploma programme (3 years). National registration and license are required.
Seven years of experience in nursing (desired area ICU/ER). UN field experience is highly desirable. Demonstrated expertise in the care of the mechanically ventilated patient, including the set up and maintenance of circuits and ventilator machines. Previous experience in humanitarian crisis and infectious diseases is highly desirable. Certification as Intensive Care Nurse or a minimum of 1 years’ experience as an Intensive Care Nurse or Emergency Room Nurse in the past 5 years. Proven experience in barrier nursing and use of PPE.
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Application Procedure :
Kindly note that this vacancy announcement is for qualified South Sudanese nationals only
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.undp.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNDP Personal History Form. Please note that UNDP only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.undp.org will be considered and applications received after closing date will not be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNDP South Sudan vacancies, only applicants short-listed for written test and interview will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.