Consultant (NTD Case Management)
Brazzaville (Congo Republic)
PURPOSE OF THE POST:
Intensified disease management (IDM) or case management (CM) NTDs focuses on diseases for which cost-effective control tools do not exist and where large-scale use of existing tools is limited. In the WHO African Region, these diseases include: Buruli ulcer, dengue, dracunculiasis, leprosy, human African trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, mycetoma and other deep mycoses, rabies, scabies and other ectoparasites, snakebite envenoming and yaws. The approaches for case detection and case-management of these diseases are similar which creates opportunities for integration in areas like community awareness, epidemiological surveillance and disease mapping, training and programme monitoring and evaluation. Moreover, common treatment approaches such as wound management, prevention of disability, surgery and rehabilitation can be implemented using the same health infrastructure and health workers. These approaches will increase cost–effectiveness and also expand coverage.
In the new NTD road map 2021–2030, the goal of an integrated approach is to reduce morbidity, disability and the psychosocial impacts of debilitating NTDs. The rationales for integration include but not limited to: co-endemicity, similar manifestations, opportunity for integrated active case finding, increase access and improve coverage, for advocacy, optimization of resources, etc. The new road map aims on stronger accountability with focus on impact indicators, intensified cross-cutting and integrated approaches as well as stronger country ownership strengthening the programmatic response to NTDs.
The purpose of this consultancy is to conduct burden assessment, capacity building on integrated active case finding, laboratory capacity building, training on case identification and case management on CM NTDs, surveillance, disease outbreak investigation and support response activities where applicable.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAMME:
The overall objective of the task is to conduct burden assessment on CM NTDs, provide capacity building on case detection and management, sample collection for laboratory diagnosis, support rapid investigation and response for CM NTDs.
The specific objectives are as follows:
1. Conduct integrated burden assessment of CM NTDs
2. Prepare and carryout rapid assessment of CM NTDs and provide capacity building for health care workers on case detection and management to help intensify disease management
3. Support the development and implementation of better control tools for NTDs through the full involvement of national control programmes
4. Provide technical support in strengthening the national disease surveillance system and carrying out monitoring and evaluation activities to see progress made on the implementation of the national NTD master plan in line with the Regional TVD Framework and Global NTD Road map.
Under the direct supervision of the TVD team leader Advisor and guidance of the Director of Communicable and Non-communicable Diseases (CND), the consultant will plan and conduct integrated burden assessment, carryout monitoring and evaluation of NTD programme including support in dossier preparation for CM NTDs, support the development of national manuals for case detection, treatment and prevention in line with the national health plan, Regional TFD Framework and Global NTD Roadmap, provide trainings for the health care providers and community health workers on integrated NTD case management and disability prevention; and submit comprehensive report upon completion of the mission...
The incumbent will be expected to carry-out an analysis of the status of the CM-NTDs endemic in the country/locality through record review; conducting field assessments as well as build capacities of health care providers as appropriate.
SUMMARY OF ASSIGNED DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the TVD Team leaders and the guidance of the Director for Communicable and Non-communicable Diseases (CND), the incumbent duties shall:
1. Support in improving the national capacity for disease surveillance and burden assessments for CM-NTDs;
2. Strengthen health care providers skill in prevention, early case detection and prompt treatment of related CM-NTDs;
3. Provide integrated technical and coordination support to the development of training material for integrated CM NTDs case detection, diagnosis confirmation and treatment as per the WHO recommendations and or based on the National guidelines;
4. Provide technical assistance to the development of appropriate control strategies, plans, manuals, guidelines in the context of the 2030 NTD Road Map and the Regional TVD Framework;
5. Support disease outbreak response activities including facilitating the availability of quality medicines and diagnostic kits and advice in setting up integrated case management services;
6. Provide technical support for the active case detection of cases and facilitate referral for case management where applicable;
7. Support integrated monitoring and evaluation of CM-NTDs programmes
8. Prepare technical briefings and/or technical documents as required; analysing the disease surveillance data, and submit detailed report including response plan and establishment of control programme if not present.
9. Perform other related tasks as requested by the supervisor.
Candidate should be able to:
1. Produce results
2. Communicate in a credible and effective way
3. Ensure effective use of resources
4. Move forward in a changing environment
5. Respect and promote individual and cultural differences; building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
Functional Skills and Knowledge (Describe skills and knowledge specific to the post):
Extensive knowledge and skills in communicable disease control and response with 3-5 years’ experience on skin related CM NTDs with practical experience on integrated NTD case management. Ability to build capacity for health workers at different levels in various aspects of case-management NTD programme.
Essential: First Degree in Medicine or health related fields
Desirable: Master’s in public health, dermatology, laboratory science or training in communicable disease prevention, practical experience in communicable diseases assessment and management preferably for CM NTDs in the African region.
Essential: Extensive experience in communicable and neglected tropical diseases-related activities with at least 3-5- years of experience on NTDs, at national or international level.
French or English. Working knowledge of the other is desirable.
Place of assignment: field assignment
Proposed level: P3, P4 or P5 based on qualification and experience.