The Finance Officer has overall responsibility for supporting the finance functions for the assigned Field Offices & the country program. The Finance Officer responsibilities include internal control, accounting data base management, reconciliation and verification of payment, budget and treasury and cash management functions.
Field Office Training & Support
- By frequent visits to the field offices providing training to finance staff on IRC accounting procedures and requirements, assists the Field Coordinators and program staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Identify areas of staff development and recommend to the finance manager & Fin Coordinator for their L&D development plan.
- Train field managers on budget tracking, review burn rates and provide advise if spending is not happening according to plan.
- Temporarily cover field finance staff position while they are away from their duty station
- Work with the finance managers on identifying gaps for capacity building of the partners and develop a capacity building plan for them
- Any task assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensures that all policies and procedures are in compliance with IRC and funding source policies, procedures, and requirements for all field sites.
- Ensue that the establishes finance and supporting function policies, systems and procedures, implemented in all IRC office.
- Prepare Monthly Balance Sheet schedules as assigned. Make sure all items in the balance sheet account are current and can be supported
- Follow up with field and main office staff to liquidate outstanding balance
- Closely supervises all financial activities and keeps the Finance Manager/Finance Coordinator advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
- Support the Finance Manager & Finance Co during external, internal, donor or government audits process.
- Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
- Ensure that statutory deductions are remitted to relevant gov’t office on timely manner.
Treasury and Cash Flow Management
- Support the team for timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations for the Field office assigned at any given time.
- Coordinates the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests for field offices and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate program implementation.
- Assist the filed finance manager on facilitating of introduction or removal of signatories from IRC bank account.
Budget development, Budget Monitoring & Prepare Donor Reports
- When vital, working with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments.
- Assisting in preparation of cost allocation processes that align with donor regulations.
- Attend all Grant Opening and Closing Meetings when required.
- Assist in preparation of donor financial reports as per the donor agreements & contracts.
- Prepare BvA and actively participate in BvAs review meeting and provide feedback on all finance related action points and closely monitor all grants to ensure that no grants are overspent or under spent through checking of over/under expenditure on the Budget vs. Actual.
- Ensure internal system of record retention are in compliance with IRC policy and the local laws.
- Ensure maintenance of uniform standards for documentation, including forms, support documents etc.
- Assist the field team on retention of documents, accurate and detailed filing of financial documents & vouchers as well as coordinating online Archiving of financial documents.
- Control access to financial records to authorized staff only.