Senior Finance Officer - Budgeting and Reporting (Jordan Country Program)
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those affected by the world’s worst humanitarian crises. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
Coordinate with the humanitarian community and the Government of Jordan, our assistance programs for Syrian refugees in Jordan include both camp-based and urban-based refugee assistance. IRC is currently addressing the needs of war-affected Syrians from several operational bases in the region. The IRC’s activities in the region focus primarily on the supply of vital medications and medical supplies, non-food items, water and sanitation and child protection and form part of an over-arching humanitarian response in Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq to assist refugees, IDPs and conflict-affected Syrians survive conflict and displacement.
Job Overview/Summary: This position will assist the focal person for the IRC Jordan’s Budget and Grants Management function. This requires a motivated, flexible, problem-solving team-player with excellent analytical, interpersonal skills and the ability to priorities activities and work to tight deadlines.
Assists the (Finance Manager) by handling the day-to-day budget and grants management function. Under the mentorship of the Finance Manager, makes sure the issues are immediately attended and that the donor budgets are prepared in accordance to IRC's and the donor's requirements and are submitted on time. In addition, s/he will ensure that grants are fully implemented according to donor's regulations, IRC's requirements and donor reporting is timely. S/He or she will develop budget management tool(s) and conduct training(s) to improve efficiency and donor reporting and compliance for the budget holders and any other stakeholder with Finance.
Country Office Annual Operating Budget
- Assist in preparing the Fiscal year Budget following the IRC standard format to meet the required deadlines.
- update the Fiscal year budget that will serve as a guide for all new donor proposals as well help in times of rapid growth, decline of program to advise timely management decisions.
- Provide recommendations for funding shortfall and / or coverage for each component.
New proposal Development
- prepare new donor budgets and cost proposals.
- conduct a detailed preparation of existing grant budget revisions ensuring that all costs are covered and are not under/over budgeted in addition to accurate use of the IRC's and the donor budget formats.
Grant Management & Reporting
- Prepare the monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) reports and distribute on time.
- Provide monthly analysis for Finance Manager per grant after each month closing and provide recommendation for the budget holders to ensure accurate grants' spending.
- Review the budget spending plans and advise relevant staff on spending status and ask for feedback on all over/under spending.
- Prepare and update spending plans for all active grants in coordination with the appropriate budget holders.
- Review and update the commitments lists from Supply chain, Admin& Human Resources to be included in monthly BvA’s.
- Participate in the periodic Grant review, opening and closing meetings and present the spending status.
- Provide support and feedback to Operations and Program Coordinators and Managers for all questions regarding the BVAs.
- In compliance with donor requirements propose and prepare adjustments entries, attaching all supporting documents for finance records and posting into SUN system.
- Preparing Donor Financial reports for all grants for review by the Deputy Director Finance. Make sure the reports are in compliance to donor reporting formats and timely submitted as per contractual requirements.
- Provide analysis of grants spending plan vs. actual spending.
- Review PRs and advise charge codes.
- Follow up / make sure that all budgets are uploaded on the BVA in the accurate way and according to donor format
- Analyzing, monitoring and reporting/addressing all budget excesses
- Track the spending on support costs and provide quarterly analysis for the purpose of any budget amendments or new budgets
- Assist the Finance Manager in conducting regular training sessions in Amman and other IRC field offices on Budget Management and donor regulations to Program, Operations and Finance staff in close coordination with Grants Coordinator.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Finance Manager
Position directly supervises: Finance Manager
Indirect Reporting: Deputy Director Finance
Deputy Director of Finance, Grants Team, as well other Finance, Program and support unit staff.
External to the Country Office: The Sr. Regional Controller, UK Office, IRC’s Program Field Coordinators and Program & Finance staff in other IRC offices managed through IRC Jordan office.