Sierra Leone (Sierra Leone)
PROGRAM BACKGROUND: Present in Sierra Leone since 1999, IRC supports the Sierra Leonean institutions – government, civil society, community-based organizations and private sector – to provide improved social services, decrease youth unemployment and mitigate gender based violence. IRC do this through programs and partnerships designed to improve the life of women, youth and children by implementing Health, Education, Youth and Gender Based Violence programming. IRC has a Country Program office in Freetown, a Regional Field Office in Kenema and Field Offices in Bo, Kailahun and Kono.
SCOPE OF WORK
The HR Manager is responsible for managing the HR staff and leading the overall HR functions including work force planning, recruitment, staff administration management, staff development, etc. The HR Manager reports directly to the Senior Operations Coordinator, takes direction on IRC global initiatives from the Regional HR Director and collaborates with all departments on human resources matters.
HR Strategic Planning
- Provide management oversight and leadership to the HR Department.
- Develop and implement a HR strategy for the country program which is in line with the organization’s, regional, and global goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement a manpower planning helping the country program to have the needed staff with the right competence on time
- Devise and implement metrics.
- Responsible for Employee Relations and related administration.
- Workforce Planning and coordination with the Regional Director.
Hiring & Recruitment
- Oversee full-cycle recruitment process and directly recruit senior-level positions; Develop candidate rosters, employ traditional sourcing strategies, actively network and employ innovative, creative recruiting methods to hire the best talent
- Facilitate and coordinate recruitment and selection process according to IRC policies and procedures
- Coordinate recruitments and orientations/transition of both new/ transferring staff.
- Review and approve job position requests, job descriptions and make recommendations, ensuring accuracy and consistency
- Coordinate vacancy posting in internal and external media as appropriate.
- Coordinate interviews and provide interview outcome summary.
- Ensure, the tracking system of the recruitment process and compile monthly report on recruitment are maintained.
- Review all job offers and contracts and ensure internal equity
HR Administration & Compliance
- Co-Lead implementation for IRC’s new Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures
- Oversee HR-related administrative duties and ensure they are compliant with existing legal and government reporting requirements
- Ensure IRC is in compliance with all labor laws, and minimization of legal exposure.
- Review of policies and procedures, making recommendations
- Ensure, File and update of all head office staff personnel and statutory documents and ensure that all staff information are properly kept, updated and confidentially maintained
- Monitor and coordinate staff contract management.
- Lead exit management procedure to ensure seamless and positive transition for departing employee
- Serve as an ambassador and champion for the IRC Way: Standards for Professional Code of Conduct; escalate code of conduct issues to the Country Director and Regional HR Director for additional support and to ensure issue is resolved and appropriate follow-up is carried out
- On an as needed basis liaise with the local legal counsel on HR issues that requires legal interpretations
HR Team Management
- Serve as the primary source of HR knowledge in response to employee and/or supervisor requests, be well versed in IRC Global HR Policies, and provide weekly, monthly and quarterly HR metrics as required
- Ensure all Generalist HR activities are carried-out in adherence to these standards
- Work with the Senior Management team to determine workforce needs, identify human resource and competency gaps, and devise a development and workforce plan to facilitate nationalizing roles and staff retention
- Manage, train, mentor HR team; create detailed plan to build capacity for every HR staff, including performance objectives, recruitment and commitment to development
- Ensure that the HR team is working in a harmonized manner with consistency among application of policy throughout all offices, and identify and implement mechanisms to ensure cooperation, communication and teamwork
HR Information and reports
- Spearhead internal staff communications, team-building and employee engagement activities
- Elevate requests as needed to the Country Director and/or Regional HR Director
- Coordinate all HR reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, monthly) preparation.
- Submit all HR reports or data request on time.
- Lead the performance management process including creating a plan to manage annual reviews, conduct training on goal-setting, utilize budgets to organize development activities and work one-on-one with managers and employees
- Coordinate and ensure timely completion of the annual performance evaluation process.
- Coordinate and ensure timely completion of the annual merit plan process
Compensation & Benefits Management
- In partnership with the Regional HR Director and Senior Operations Coordinator define and review salary structure;
- In conjunction with the Country Director and Deputy Director of Finance, coordinate annual compensation review process and compensation adjustments.
- Manage benefit plans and communicate updates
- Facilitate administration of staff benefits and compensation as stipulated in the HR policies
- Ensure the process of the monthly HR payroll documentation on timely basis ensuring completeness and accurate documentation
- Coordinate medical insurance benefits provider selection process yearly.
- Ensure that all insurance forms are accurately filled by new staff
- Ensure the employee medical insurance eligibility list is current.
- Ensure that exited and new staff list is forwarded to the insurance company on monthly basis for purposes of effectively managing payroll.
- Ensure that all exiting staff clearance forms are submitted before final dues are processed.