Neonatal Nurse Educator
Lao PDR (Lao )
Lao Friends Hospital for Children (LFHC) is a 61 bed acute pediatric hospital situated in Luang Prabang, Lao PDR. It is operated by a New York based non-profit organisation, Friends Without A Border, that is dedicated to providing high-quality and compassionate healthcare to the children in remote areas of Southeast Asia. In 2015 the hospital opened on the same campus as the Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital (LPPH) and has been developing its services since then.
LFHC is a teaching hospital offering emergency, inpatient, outpatient and surgical services to neonates and children throughout Northern Laos. Limited on-site radiology, laboratory, and pharmacy together with a homecare program complement these clinical activities. A major goal of this hospital is to promote the clinical learning and professional development of the local staff such that key positions in the hospital are progressively filled by a well-trained and dedicated local workforce.
Lao PDR is currently free of community transmitted COVID and as such is an attractive and safe destination for any potential applicants.
The Neonatal Nurse Educator is primarily responsible for the education, training and development of the LFHC neonatal nursing team. This includes the development and delivery of education and training, implementation of education curriculums, and development of trainers amongst the local neonatal nursing team. The volunteer will also be instrumental in the development of clinical guidelines and protocols in conjunction with both Lao and international staff. The role includes clinical shifts, both in a mentoring capacity and role modeling when demonstrating clinical excellence alongside Lao nurses.
This role differs from that of other LFHC nursing staff with respect to the specific duties that follow:
- Improve and deliver education and training opportunities for the neonatal nursing team. Develop and implement Lao-led training of staff with the aim of developing a self-sufficient education program.
- Develop and implement strategies for the provision of care in the neonatal unit and associated areas of care.
- Liaise with other LFHC Executive Staff to coordinate and develop clinical guidelines in the neonatal unit.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Lao-led training programs and courses
- Liaise with the Nursing Education Director, Lao Nurse Educator and Medical Education Director in the coordination of joint medical and nursing neonatal education
- Identify new therapeutic measures to deal with more complex neonatal problems that are encountered in the unit and devise new treatment pathways for them
- Conduct educational sessions designed to improve neonatal nursing competencies
- Lead by example in demonstrating excellent neonatal care on a daily basis
- Promote breastfeeding and maternal nutrition, liaising with nutrition and medical teams to accomplish this.
- Review existing nursing specific and hospital wide neonatal policies and protocols, and update as appropriate.
- If required, organize participation in clinical placements and courses in external facilities
- Strengthen relationship with Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital to improve their maternity staff’s skill and
- involvement with neonatal resuscitations.
- The volunteer will be required to work a mixture of administrative shifts (08.00 – 17.00) and clinical shifts (07.00 – 19.30) in response to the needs of LFHC. The organization of these shifts will be negotiated with the Nursing Director.
Salary and Benefits
This is a salaried role with possibility of contract extension.
One week of leave will be given for each three months of work. Health insurance is provided.
The costs of flights, quarantine, and COVID testing are covered by the organization.