Juba (South Sudan)
Background Information - Job-specific
The EU-IGAD COVID-19 Response project aims at supporting the efforts of the Ministry of Health and immigration/border authorities to mitigate and control the spread of COVID 19 while enabling the continuity of trade and cross border movements especially movement of vulnerable populations and goods, but also humanitarian support.
Integrating screening and triage facilities in existing border services will help to ensure this continuity through the physical separation of suspected and confirmed COVID-19 cases from other patients. Such measures will enable existing border facilities to remain functional through effective triage, access control, screening, isolation and separation for treatment.
Through this project, the Ministry of Health will benefit from the increased access to health care and socio-economic support for vulnerable groups as well as ensuring essential health services and systems are in place at the borders which are a part of the critical supply chains are safe for trade and are in line with the region’s immediate and longer-term response priorities for managing the risks of transmission.
EU-IGAD COVID-19 Response: funded by the European Union, managed by UNOPS, coordinated by IGAD and implemented by GIZ, IOM, TMEA, UNICEF and UNOPS
The Civil Engineer is part of the UNOPS infrastructure team and is required to assist the Project Manager (Technical Team Leader) to manage and coordinate the day-to-day activities and outputs of the infrastructure team, including the UNOPS, Consultants and Contractor teams. The Civil Engineer is therefore required to have extensive practical experience of performing project management roles as well as practical construction activities of supervising works to ensure that both UNOPS Quality Assurance requirements are being met, and that the Contractor carries out their quality control functions effectively.
The project is managed from the UNOPS KEMC Uganda office.
The duty station for the Civil Engineer is Juba in South Sudan with field stations at Nimule and Renk.
The Civil Engineer will be based in the office as well as conduct missions to the site, under the direct supervision of the Project Manager (Technical Team Leader). Engineering and construction:
- Plan and coordinate work activities with the project manager .
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Project Manager.
- Provide supervision of project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery.
- Monitor contractor presence on the project site, including Bill of Quantities (BoQ) as per approved contract.
- Provide data and information about project work to the Project Manager for reporting purposes.
- Understand the technical specification and scope of work of each Contractor and where required to assist the Contractor to manage, plan and coordinate monthly, weekly and daily construction activities including monitoring site safety and construction quality.
- Liaise closely with Engineering personnel to identify and solve construction issues in a timely fashion, consulting and keeping the Project Manager informed.
- Liaise closely with Engineering personnel, ensuring accuracy of construction activities including the administration of the contracts as it relates to claims.
- Participate in supporting construction approval and inspection activities.
- Coordinate the work of the Consultant in design development and documentation as well as the associated Design Review process and certification .
- Verification and checking of setting outs as per the Construction drawings for the start of the construction of new structure.
- Liaise with, and provide support to, other offices within the country as required.
The Project Engineer will complete the below activities whenever requested on area covered by his/her duty station:
- Complete needs assessment, organize preliminary studies and monitor/supervising consultants.
- Support the review of requests for new construction and rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments and prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
- Assist the Project Manager in redacting the tender dossier, with particular focus to the technical documents (drawings, BoQ, technical specification and standards).
- Assist the Project Manager to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary and final stages where applicable.
- Assist the Project Manager to manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time, and to the required quality.
- Review and verify the proposed design changes submitted by the design.
- Prepare the BoQ for comment and approval by the Project Manager.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation and bid analysis where required.
- As tasked by the Project Manager, supervise construction works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Oversee surveying works, engineering control of the works etc.
- Actively support the Technical Team Leader and all relevant stakeholders with the supply of data and information including, but not limited to, project implementation and completion reports and and other related documents.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of implementation plan progress as well as conditions on site through daily/ weekly site records.
- Prepare and submit to the Project Manager a weekly or monthly (or as requested) detailing all project matters including resourcing and scheduling, quality, health and safety, environmental and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Project manage.
- Produce any appropriate documentation identified by the Technical Team Leader in a professional and accurate manner.
- Understand the full scope of infrastructure works, activities and resources required to deliver them to the available timeline and budget.
- Assist the Technical Team Leader to develop and monitor Work Package implementation plans including:
- Overall Infrastructure Work delivery plans, stage plans within tolerances set by the project board and in line with overall Project Plan.
- Quality, Health & Safety and Social & Environment plans.
- Infrastructure Human Resource plans and Budgets.
- Support the Project Manager to manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of work package activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Liaise with any external suppliers or other managers.
- Support the Project Manager to manage the production of the required products, overall progress and use of resources and suggesting corrective action where necessary.
- Ensure highest standards of knowledge management, ensuring quality and complete archiving of project Infrastructure products.
- Contribute to the project evaluation process; highlight challenges associated with the project and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel including advice on good construction practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Support and motivate the technical team.
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established.
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards.
Core Values and Principles:
- Understand and respect UNOPS sustainability principles.
- Look for ways to embed UNOPS sustainability principles in day to day project management.
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at workplace.
- Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders.
- Understand and respect national ownership and capacity.
- Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them into the project plans.
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff.
- Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts.
- Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners).
Accountability for results and the use of resources:
The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the PE to raise the issue with a supervisor.
Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
- Ensure that the project(s) produce(s) the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits. The Project Engineer is also responsible for the project producing a result capable of achieving the benefits defined in the Business Case(s). Contribute to the overall business targets and needs.
- Accuracy of Infrastructure Work package planning and delivery (according to approved plans);
- Timeliness and accuracy of reporting on Work package performance.
- Full compliance (and evidence) with HSSE and Quality Management System for Infrastructure Work package, demonstrated through completeness of records according to the document management guidance.
- Identification and implementation of continuous process improvement.
- Close out of all Defects Rectifications on Infrastructure Work package and final completion certificates/handovers.
- University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree / first level) in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or related field is an advantage.
- Project Management certification (e.g. Prince2 Foundation) is desirable.
- A minimum of four (4) years experience working in construction management is required.
- Experience working in infrastructure and project management is an asset.
- Experience in health and safety management is desired.
- Experience in supervision of construction activities is an asset.
- Work experience in post-conflict/ fragile environments and hardship is desirable.
- Competence in the use of all commonly used computer software – spreadsheet, scheduling tools, MS project, Google Suite, AutoCad and other computer programmes is an added advantage.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- Fluency in written, read and oral English is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
This position is based in a non-family duty station.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICAContract level: I-ICA 1
Contract duration: Nine months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.