Administrative Assistant 1
Parent Sector : UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)
Duty Station: Canada
Job Family: General Administrative Support
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 07-MAR-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
In order to be eligible for this contract, applicant must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or hold a valid Canadian work permit.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
This is a re-advertisement, candidates who previously applied do not need to reapply
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UIS, the Senior Finance and Administrative Officer, and the direct supervision of the Senior Administrative Assistant, the Administrative Assistant provides a whole range of front office, building management & security and administrative services to meet the needs of external and internal clients. More particularly, the incumbent:
- Prepares cost estimates related to mail-outs needed for fund reservations. Assists with administrative travel tasks as assigned and prepares draft mission travel letters. Assists in the creation of Purchase Requisitions (PR) by collecting competitive quotations; initiates the PR; follows up on the Purchase Order (PO) and receipt of the goods/services. Initiates Vendor management requests in accordance with the established processes and in compliance with UNESCO Policies.
- Assists with asset/inventory tasks including the compilation of asset custodian forms; the annual physical verification exercise, reconciliation and follows up on relevant actions including disposals and recognition.
- Prepares building access reports on a monthly basis and where required, processes security access badges and arranges building maintenance services.
- Responds to enquiries and routinely follows-up outstanding matters; provides information to supervisor(s) and colleagues; makes appointments, receives visitors and takes telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the applicable specialist. As directed, liaises with HQ services to obtain additional information/clarification. Records, updates and retrieves information, documentation and data from the Office/Bureau filing systems.
- Receives, analyzes, sorts, registers and distributes correspondence, documents and processes requests for data and reports; determines the importance and priority of documents received and follows-up as required. Drafts correspondence as well as emails/faxes; reviews, proofreads and edits outgoing correspondence according to standard practices and protocol, and to ensure proper grammar, spelling and punctuation; recommends changes/corrections; and provides informal translation of documents.
- Assists with the organization of meetings, events and workshops; collects and consolidates related budget information for review; prepares disbursement memos and compiles of relevant supporting documentation upon completion of the event.
- Performs back up functions for the Senior Administrative Assistant when required.
- Performs additional activities that may be required to ensure success of the work team.
- Completed secondary, technical or vocational school Diploma.
- Further training in areas related to administration and/or finance would be considered an asset
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience working in an administrative or similar environment, preferably in a medium to large side international working environment.
- Experience in an international environment is considered an asset.
- Experience in handling web-based management systems. Experience with an ERP system will be considered as an asset.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good team work spirit in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Good organizational skills.
- Capacity for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and good knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is highly desirable.
- Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Excellent knowledge of English and French.
UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Canadian Dollar).
Salary: CAD 2,969.33/month net of taxes
Other benefits include: 2.5 days annual leave for each completed month of service, 5% for medical insurance and 10% for pension plan are included into the monthly salary.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.