Monitoring & Evaluation Officer, UNOCHA
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA's mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention, and facilitate sustainable solutions.
The Ukraine Humanitarian Fund (UHF) is a country-based pooled fund intended to support coordinated humanitarian action, in line with the Humanitarian Response Plan, and to address some of the most critical needs, which are of strategic priority and which would otherwise would go unfunded.
The UHF allows donors to pool their contributions into single, unearmarked funds to support local humanitarian efforts, which will, in turn, not only enable a coordinated, flexible and inclusive humanitarian response, but also strategically maximise available resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the OCHA Head of Office and under the direct supervision of the Pooled Fund Manager, the incumbent will be expected to be able to perform the following functions:
Summary of key functions:
- Managing the monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian projects in Ukraine
- Ensuring quality and accountability of monitoring
- Building and maintaining strategic partnerships
- Technical support to the CBPF partners (clusters, implementing partners, potential partners)
- Communication and Reporting
Managing the monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian projects in Ukraine:
- Overall responsibility for the monitoring and evaluation strategy and its successful implementation;
- Provide evidence-based analysis to inform decision making at the operational and policy levels of the CBPF, particularly at the level of the strategic priorities defined in HRP;
- Monitor progress and effect of the humanitarian response against the strategic priorities as well as promote and support quality assurance of CBPF funded projects;
- Support the Clusters to monitor the progress and effect of the CBPF funded projects and their coherence with the cluster response plans defined in the HRP;
- Facilitate that cross-cutting issues are monitored by all stakeholders at all levels.
Ensuring quality and accountability of monitoring:
- Ensuring the standards and systems used to deliver quality and accountable services and monitoring reports include information on levels of compliance achieved against standards and indicators;
- Analysing lessons learned for quality and accountability;
- Promote monitoring, evaluations and audits as means of guiding and supporting agencies implementing CBPF funded projects;
- Propose and facilitate external reviews/evaluations as agreed by the clusters and the HLG;
- Support agencies and clusters to seek innovative methods for remote management and monitoring to improve accountability.
Building and maintaining strategic partnerships:
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key actors in other agencies dealing with monitoring and evaluation and indicators in order to facilitate effective collaboration and communication.
Technical support to the UHF stakeholders:
- Ensure a standardized M&E methodology across the clusters;
- Provide technical support to each of the Clusters to monitor and evaluate the defined Cluster objectives and specific CBPF success indicators and targets;
- Provide technical support/guidance to the Cluster Co-Chairs and Cluster Information Management Officers (IMOs) to develop simple and value-adding monitoring strategies and tools;
- Provide technical support/guidance to the Clusters in the identification of current monitoring methodologies used by the Clusters and identify good practices;
- Provide technical support/guidance to the Clusters in monitoring and reporting responsibilities ensuring coherence with existing reporting requirements.
Communication and Reporting:
- Together with the Coordination and Information Management Units, take the lead in organizing the review of progress and impact of the CBPF in Ukraine.
- Lead the preparation of quarterly or other evidence-based analytical reports to donors and the humanitarian community on the progress and effect of the CBPF.
- Support the Pooled Fund Manager in the management and secretariat work of the CBPF constituencies (Advisory Board, Strategic Review Committee and etc).
- Coordinate with other members of the CBPF team, and with other units of OCHA
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the OCHA/UHF operations in Ukraine, including the success of communication, advocacy and collaboration with relevant stakeholders in the region by the means of efficient coordination, resource mobilization and information sharing.
Accurate analysis and presentation of information, thoroughly researched and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the office and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor.
Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
- Thorough knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation of humanitarian projects;
- Knowledge and experience in project log frame development, proposal writing, quantitative and qualitative surveys and progress report writing;
- Knowledge on humanitarian principles, standards and emergency response;
- Knowledge and application skills of IT tools and management systems;
- Very good analytical skills and results orientation;
- Ability to manage several activities with tight deadlines;
- Skills to manage relationships and communicate with diverse partners.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Communicating effectively, facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively with partners demonstrating strong client orientation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent in political science, social science, public administration, international studies, economics, statistics, project management or a related field or related field is required. Bachelor`s degree with 2 additional years of relevant experience can be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Up to two years of relevant experience in project design, management, implementation or monitoring and evaluation, humanitarian affairs, development or other related area is required;
- Experience managing evaluation of humanitarian assistance is desirable;
- Experience with a UN organization or an NGO is an advantage.
- Fluent written and spoken English, Ukrainian and Russian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Motivated and enthusiastic candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.