Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refuguees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
MHNT Officer/nurse is responsible for proper implementation of Emergency Health and nutrition services targeting for children and adult provided at MHNT sites. She/he will work closely with MHNT Team leader, MHNT Midwife nurse and Senior health officer based in Konso, Alle and Derashe. Supporting the MHNT team leader in liaising with woreda health office to enhance their participation and involvement in prevention, awareness creation and capacity building of woreda based government health staff (HWs & HEWs) and s/he will provide ongoing technical support for gov’t health care providers (HWs and HEWs).
This position will be based at different woredas in Konso, Alle and Derashe and will directly report to the MHNT Team Leader/Senior Health Officer based in Hawassa field office.
- Provide health education at MHNT sites,
- Provide consultation and treatment for children based on IMNCI protocol,
- Provide proper nutrition screening and emergency nutrition services (OTP, TSFP and linking cases for SC) based on national protocols,
- Record and registration of consulted/treated and nutrition program beneficiaries,
- Prepare, compile and timely submission of child health and nutrition services report,
- Manage child health and nutrition products/drugs stock, follow up on the stock level, utilization, and balance and notify early shortage to MHNT team leader,
- Conduct demonstration of Super cereal plus and other nutrition products preparation for new mothers to ensure appropriate utilization,
- Capacitate and assist HEWs in providing child health and nutrition services provision,
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by the MHNT Team leader and senior Health officer,