Chief Counsel, Non-Sovereign Backed Finance & Finance
Chief Counsel, Non-Sovereign Backed Finance and Finance
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 103 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The position of Chief Counsel, Nonsovereign-Backed Finance and Finance reports to the General Counsel. The Legal Department (LEG) requires the successful candidate to have the skills and experience needed to assume primary accountability and leadership responsibility within LEG for managing the following responsibilities with a focus on nonsovereign-backed finance and finance:
- A departmental unit within LEG providing legal advisory services on (1) nonsovereign-backed finance primarily to the Vice Presidency, Investment Operations; and (ii) financial and treasury-related matters primarily to the Treasury, Controller and Risk Management Departments.
- Mentor, guide, and support unit lawyers in the design of operations, drafting and negotiation of legal agreements for those operations, providing assistance in processing their approval by the Board, and facilitating responsive action to changing circumstances during implementation of operations.
- Supervise and guide lawyers on nonsovereign-backed finance and finance on each step of the project or task cycle including reviewing and clearing legal documents.
- Provide comments on and contribute to the development of proposed Bank policies, directives, and guidance notes.
- Provide legal advice on the operational aspects of Bank policies and directives in respect of nonsovereign-backed finance and finance.
- Manage external counsel advising AIIB on investment and finance operations.
- Provide advice to committees of the Board of Directors.
- Provide advice to the management committees dealing with investment operations, finance and policy and strategy matters in respect of nonsovereign-backed finance and finance.
- Represent the Bank at external events in relation to investment operations and finance matters.
- Contribute to Bank-wide initiatives and other tasks as directed by the General Counsel.
The skills required to discharge the above-described responsibilities include:
- A minimum of 10 – 15 years relevant experience, Master’s degree / qualification to practice law or equivalent.
- A high level of technical competence in investment operations and finance.
- The ability to contribute substantially to informed decision-making by the Bank’s governance organs and senior staff.
Proven track record of having worked on complex legal and institutional aspects related to:
- financing private sector projects in emerging markets; project portfolio management (including jeopardy projects, projects in “workout” status, and projects in litigation); the delivery and design of structured finance products, sub-national lending, equity and quasi-equity transactions.
- Funding, derivatives, repo and liquid asset investment operations as well as other finance, capital markets and local currency matters, with a view to ensuring the highest standards of legal advice and documentation, protection of AIIB’s interests and compliance with AIIB’s mandate, policies and procedures.
- The stature and personality needed to manage and lead staff so that the legal and other services they provide fully meet the Bank's needs.
The ability to command the confidence of those with whom the incumbent works.
- The experience needed for this position is likely to have been drawn from a combination of working, for a substantial number of years (minimum 15 years), at progressively more senior levels in a major multilateral development bank, a leading law firm, a major private financial institution or global corporation.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.