Language Service Assistant (French Translation Group)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Language branch (CSGL) enables Multilingualism of the Organization by providing interpretation, translation, and terminology goods and services in all FAO languages across the span of corporate governance, normative, operational and communication functions. CSGL also supports the provision of FAO products in local languages, and is responsible for quality language assurance within the Organization.
The position is located in the French Translation Group.
The Language Service Assistant performs a large variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Language Service Assistant reports to the Senior Reviser, French Translation Group.He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning.
The Language Service Assistant usually interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine administrative and office support services.
- Type and proofread, both in draft and final form, various types of correspondence and documents and format texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards;
- Use standard Word Templates to produce, under strict deadlines, the final version of meeting documents, including reports, after having assumed responsibility for the proofreading and final typing of the texts, implementing all layout instructions;
- Bring to the attention of the relevant reviser or the supervisor any errors, obscure passages or inconsistencies in translated documents or in the original texts;
- Review documents produced to ensure that all processes have been completed before forwarding for printing and web-posting;
- Respond or draft responses to standard/routine correspondence and other communications in particular documents submitted for processing; refers queries to the appropriate parties as necessary;
- Prepare texts for computer-assisted translation (using the pre-processing feature in Computer Assisted Translation Tool) and add them to the central Translation Memory;
- Finalize documents translated with the CAT Tool or carry out alignments of previously translated documents and add them to the central Translation Memory;
- Carry out a variety of administrative tasks and initiate actions in the Organization's computerized financial/personnel systems;
- Organize and maintain the filing system ensuring that all files are properly indexed for easy reference
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of language support services including timely submission, processing, issuance and distribution of documentation and on the overall output of the work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Three years of relevant experience in office/ management support work including conference services, documentation processing and management
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of French and limited knowledge (Level B) of English
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in French proofreading
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Good knowledge of the organizational structure
- Good knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- Thorough knowledge of work procedures in the language support service
- Knowledge of the FAO documentation management planning, processing and distribution work flow.
- Knowledge of the relevant policies, guidelines, rules and regulations on documents management, processing and distribution.
- Ability to proofread translations against English originals.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English
- Good knowledge of FAO terminology
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency