Economic Recovery and Development Manager
IRC began operations in Jordan in 2007 to respond to needs of refugees from various countries, in coordination with international and local humanitarian organizations, as well as with the Jordanian government. Since 2012, the IRC has been working to meet the needs of Syrian refugees and Jordanians affected by the Syria crisis through programs in health, protection, economic empowerment, and early childhood development. With a staff of 260 and more than 200 volunteers, the IRC Jordan strives to respond to client needs through integrated programming, ensuring that protection and gender are mainstreamed across interventions.
IRC Jordan began implementing Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) programs 2015 with an initial focus on women-led entrepreneurship and financial literacy. Economic empowerment has expanded its core focus to support vulnerable refugees and host community members, primarily women and youth, to access safe and sustainable livelihoods opportunities through a multi-pronged approach that addresses skills gaps, access to finance, and private sector engagement. To date, ERD programming has trained 9,847individuals (51% women) and has supported the creation of 1,023 businesses (83% women-led).
IRC is looking for an engage, hard-working, and forward-thinking teammate to join us!
Under the supervision of the Economic Recovery and Development Coordinator, the ERD Manager will be responsible for providing operational and programmatic support for the effective and successful design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of the IRC ERD Programs in Jordan.
The ERD Manager manages implementation, personnel, and relationships with partners to ensure the high quality and timely implementation of projects. He/she contributes to the implementation of the ERD strategy, design of ERD activities, and oversees as well as the day-to-day project management of ERD programs.
Program Management and Technical Quality
- Support the ERD Coordinator in strengthening and growing the ERD program in line with IRC Jordan's Strategic Action Plan (SAP).
- Plan and manage all ERD programming in Jordan in accordance with standard methodologies and IRC policies.
- Maintain a strong understanding of local context, including the regulations that govern humanitarian and developmental interventions in Jordan.
- Lead the implementation of timely, quality projects that are within budget.
- Oversee the management of project work plans and budgets (forecasting, spending plans and budget follow-up), timely recruitment, and accurate reporting based on IRC and donor regulations.
- Work with other technical managers to support integrated activities that improve the overall outcomes for clients.
- Identify new partners from the private sector, civil society and governmental sector that contribute to supporting clients’ achieving economic independence and agency. Ensure these relationships remain positive and receive regular maintenance.
- Using implementation and monitoring plans, capture progress against established work plans, ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and the community. Raise any implementation or monitoring issues to the ERD Coordinator in a timely manner.
- Monitor activities through regular visits to field sites, reviews of MEAL plans, and indicator trackers.
- Liaise with other program leads, supply chain and finance staff to ensure timely payments, distributions and compliance for ERD activities.
- Support ERD M&E staff to develop relevant monitoring tools and adapt them to the different program methodologies.
- Support the identification of opportunities and development of assessments in collaboration with the ERD Coordinator, M&E team and other IRC sectors.
Financial Management, Grant Planning & Implementation
- Take responsibility for livelihoods budget management and compliance, including management of the ERD operating budget and grant-specific budgets, spending plans, salary management, and tracking budget versus actuals throughout grant implementation and close-out.
- Contribute to regular donor and internal reporting. Where necessary, coordinate with Grants team to ensure the IRC submits donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements are produced in quality.
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures.
- Support/participate in the development of all ERD related proposals, including drafting programmatic budgets and contributing to development of narrative, logframes, and other components.
- Provide direction, capacity building and monitors staff in implementation of their work plans and technical quality of activities.
- Analyze budget, map grant salaries and attend grant review meetings.
- Support the preparation of technical content of relevant JORISS applications.
- Ensure that all internal and external reporting requirements are met, that reports are of a high quality and are submitted on time.
Staff Performance Management, Learning, and Development
- Hire, supervise, and build the capacity of ERD team members in relevant technical and management competencies.
- Train, coach, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Ensure all ERD staff are following work plans and ERD project deliverables are completed as planned.
- In collaboration with the ERD Coordinator, support the development and implementation of staff technical capacity building plans that promote learning and ensure staff receive training accordingly.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions!
- Hold high-quality, one-to-one weekly meetings with direct reports on a regular and predictable basis.
- As required, identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in line with National Staff Employment Policies.
- Promote staff care and well-being. Model healthy work-life balance practices.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Advocacy, Coordination and Representation
- Support the sharing of information and learning across economic programming in Jordan.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external stakeholders including fellow agencies/NGOS, government departments and ministries, community-based organizations and partners, donors, and others.
- Participate in Livelihoods Working Group to stay informed and share information on needs and gaps as well as technical development/ innovations within the sector in Jordan.
- Actively advance IRC’s connections to economic actors/private sector at a local, regional and national level, seeking avenues for partnership, collaboration and coordination of activities to ensure sustainability of interventions.
- Oversee the IRC’s relationship with partners engaged in ERD Program activities and support the identification of new partners as it relates to new programming.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:ERD Coordinator
Position directly supervises: Senior Business Development Officer and Senior Market and Community Engagement Officer
Indirect Reporting: None
Other Internal and/or external contacts: WPE Manager, Cash Unit/ Urban Manager, ECD Manager, Information Manager, Partnerships Coordinator, Government Liaison Specialist, and others.