SDG Budgeting Thematic Coordinator
The UN Joint Programme “Promoting new tools of sustainable development budgeting that prioritize vulnerable populations in Belarus” (Joint Programme) envisages the introduction of a set of new tools of sustainable development budgeting in Belarus in the form of diagnostics, policy advice and technical cooperation.
With the support of UN agencies, the package will help mainstream normative budget planning per consumer, sustainable development tagging of state expenditures and assist Belarus to ensure that recent gains of the country in terms of achieving high position on SDG and Human Development Indices will not be compromised by current macroeconomic constraints. The Joint Programme envisages a diagnostic assessment of sector-specific spending as well as available fiscal resources.
Overall, the Joint Programme will help assess the efficiency of strategic budget planning and spending, identify gaps and better focus on long-term priority expenditures related to sustainable development and the national SDG targets.
The Joint Programme will be implemented by UNDP, UNICEF, UNFPA and UN Women (PUNOs). UNDP will perform the role of the Convening Agency. The Convening Agency will compile the narrative reports of PUNOs and submit a consolidated report to the Joint SDG Fund Secretariat, through the Resident Coordinator.
Objectives of the assignment: The SDG Budgeting Thematic Coordinator shall be in charge of the daily management of the Joint Programme funds according to the rules and procedures established by the UNDP, legislation of the Republic of Belarus and job description. The SDG Budgeting Thematic Coordinator shall work under the aegis of the UNDP and shall be responsible for planning and managing Joint Programme activities. as well as ensure general control of the Joint Programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The SDG Budgeting Thematic Coordinator assumes overall responsibility for the successful implementation of all Joint Programme activities and the achievement of planned outputs. He/she works under direct supervision of the UNDP Programme Analyst. The objective of the assignment of the SDG Budgeting Thematic Coordinator is to ensure effective management and monitoring of the Joint Programme.
Overall Joint Programme management:
- In close collaboration with the designated specialists of participating UN organizations (PUNOs), coordinate work of the PUNOs involved into implementation of the Joint Programme;
- Supervise and coordinate the Joint Programme to ensure its results are in accordance with the Joint Programme Document, rules and procedures established in the UNDP’s Program and Operations Policies and Procedures, legislation of the Republic of Belarus;
- Ensure that Joint Programme activities are implemented in accordance with the approved work plans and budgets;
- Assume overall responsibility for recruitment of Joint Programme personnel and short-term consultants, along with procurement of goods and services performed by the Joint Programme in accordance with the Joint Programme Document, approved annual work plans and UNDP rules and procedures;
- Assume overall responsibility for meeting the targets set out in the agreed annual work plans, reporting on Joint Programme funds and related record keeping;
- Monitor Joint Programme risks and performance indicators; keep logs of risks, issues, lessons learned, quality management, and Joint Programme implementation monitoring (in accordance with UNDP procedures). Regularly inform UNDP on the risks and issues, and actions undertaken to eliminate/reduces these risks/issues;
- Ensure finalization of all Joint Programme activities and preparation of all necessary documents for proper operational closure of the Joint Programme in line with the relevant UNDP, donor procedures.
Joint Programme administrative and financial management:
- Develop detailed annual work plans, to be approved by the UNDP, ensure adherence thereto;
- Ensure adequate management of the Joint Programme resources and monitor expenditures, commitments and balance of funds under the Joint Programme budget lines. Ensure that financial delivery targets set out in the agreed annual work plans are met.
- Prepare Terms of Reference (ToR) for national and international consultants and subcontractors following relevant UNDP procedures. Guide the work of consultants and subcontractors and ensure compliance with the agreed work plan and respective ToR securing high quality of the results;
- Prepare and timely submit annual Joint Programme reports, Joint Programme implementation reports for the donor, as well as any other reports or updates requested by UNDP Country Office ensuring correctness of information provided;
- Secure appropriate management of Joint Programme assets attaining to the respective rules and procedures as well as national regulations;
- Organize and supervise workshops and trainings needed during the Joint Programme implementation.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the Joint Programme Team, subcontracted individuals and legal entities;
- Guide and coordinate the work of national and international consultants and subcontractors, oversee its compliance with the agreed work plan.
- Liaise with ministries, national institutes and other relevant institutions in order to involve their staff in Joint Programme activities, gather and disseminate information relevant to the Joint Programme;
- Ensure adequate information flow, discussions and feedback among the various stakeholders of the Joint Programme;
- Coordinate Joint Programme activities with other projects and programs in Belarus;
- Participate in communication (PR) and media activities. Coordinate distribution of the Joint Programme related information. Ensure visibility of the Donor in all Joint Programme outputs;
- Maintain regular contact with the UNDP Country Office, ministries, national institutes and other relevant institutions on Joint Programme implementation issues of their respective competence.
Undertake other actions related to the Joint Programme as requested by the UNDP Programme Analyst.
- Job knowledge and expertise: understanding the job requirements; can apply practical knowledge of financial and budgeting processes; manages effectively financial, human and material resources; demonstrates knowledge of the subject relevant to the assignment.
- Result Orientation: assesses the performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into work; demonstrates ability to manage data and prioritize tasks; is accountable for task implementation and team deliverables, anticipates constraints and identifies solutions;
- Communication: builds professional networks with partners; communicates clearly; presents ideas clearly both in Russian and English; report writing skills; persuades others to embrace new ideas;
- Leadership: determines appropriate resources, methods, partners, information and solution; actively shares experience and knowledge; generates individual commitment, excitement and excellence; ability to manage conflicts and solve problems.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in public finance, economics, law, governance, public policy and administration, international relations, management, social-economic, environmental development or any other related field;
- Advanced degree or academic training in these areas is an asset;
- At least 5 years of experience in state social–economic and environmental development forecasting/planning, public finance, state budgeting, budget review and public expenditure review;
- Research experience in the mentioned areas is an asset;
- At least 2 years of experience in cooperation and interaction with government bodies, local authorities and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience in management and evaluation of development programmes and projects is an asset;
- Experience in managing international technical assistance/donor-funded project is an asset;
- Fluency in Russian and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.