Sign language interpreters
UNDP is the development arm of the United Nations system, with offices in 180 countries. Globally, the organization employs 17,000 people and manages a budget of USD 5 billion each year.
The UNDP office in Skopje employs a team of 65 and currently manages a portfolio of projects in environmental protection, good governance and inclusive prosperity worth USD 16 million per year.
UN Agencies are supporting the national stakeholders in fulfilling their commitments towards the implementation of the International Convention on the Rights of the People with Disabilities (CRPD). UN Agencies are working towards recognizing the importance of accessibility to the physical, social, economic, and cultural environment, to health and education and to information and communication, in enabling persons with disabilities to fully enjoy all human rights and fundamental freedoms.
In line with UNCRPD Article 9 : Accessibility and Article 21: Freedom of expression and opinion, and access to information, UN promotes appropriate forms of assistance and support to persons with disabilities to ensure their access to information, providing forms of life assistance and intermediaries including professional sign language interpreters.
UN is accepting and facilitating the use of sign languages as well as recognizing and promoting the use of sign languages.
For this purpose, UNDP will sign Individual Contracts (framework agreement) with number of certified (Individual) sign language interpreters that will be engaged upon the need for their services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Tasks / Key Results Expected
The Contractor will be responsible for the following:
- Translate to sign language during meeting, training session, or other requested events
- Translate to sign language with concise, clear, and accurate translation without distortion and/or over interpretation of original messages communicated by a speaker;
- Providing oral interpreting to people who do not use sign language or prefer lipreading
- Do research to gain an understanding of what will be interpreted
- Ability to work both independently and in the team
- Strong command of attention to the details
- Strong ability to demonstrate high quality performance/products
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrated integrity by modeling ethical standards
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience:
- University degree;
- At least 3 years of experience in national sign language interpretation at national/international level for conferences and events (5 years for candidates with secondary education);
- Sign Language interpreter/lecturer certificate;
- Proven evidence in sign language interpretation of minimum 10 events;
- Native speaker of Macedonian and/or Albanian. Knowledge of English language is an asset.
The sign language interpretation will be provided with physical presence at the venue or remotely as requested by the UN organization.
The sign language interpreter is expected to have their own IT equipment (lap-stop and headset) to perform the task assigned. In the opposite case, UNDP will provide the IT equipment.
If you are interested in providing these services to UNDP and other UN Organizations, please submit the following documents/information to be considered
- Offerors letter confirming interest and availability
- Most updated CV with clear indication of relevant professional expertise;
- Copy of University diploma
- Sign Language interpreter/lecturer certificate;
- Your financial offer in MKD (Please complete the table attached (Annex 1, part A)
- List of least 10 events in which you provided sign language services (Please complete the table attached (Annex 1, part B)
- At least 3 positive reference from your clients (Please provide a copy of signed reference letter or provide e-mail address of contact persons to check your references.)
Terms and Conditions
- The financial compensation for the translation services will be according to the standard UNDP price list that will be determined by UNDP and other UN Agencies;
- UNDP will sign individual contract (IC) with the selected individuals.
- The contract does not form a financial obligation or commitment from UNDP or other un organization at the time the IC is signed, and that such an agreement is non-exclusive (i.e., it does not prohibit UNDP from entering into another such framework agreement with another individual or entity). Financial commitments will only be established each time the services are requested within the scope of IC, through the agreed triggering document that signals commencement of a given engagement (annex 2).
- The duration of the initial agreement will be for one year with a possibility for extension of up to three years.
- Each UN Organization may sign a separate contract with the selected individuals as may be required by their internal procedures
Note: Government officials shall not be hired by UNDP under Contract for professional services, unless the consultant submits along with the application documents: (i) no objection letter in respect of the individual issued from the Government/employer; and (ii) written confirmation by the Government certifying that the individual is to be on official leave without pay (SLWOP) for the duration of the Contract for professional services.
1. Click on the "Apply now" button
2. Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume, and motivation (cover letter). You can type in or paste your short Resume into the last box.
3. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload other required documents listed in the step 2.
Interested individual consultants must submit the documents/information listed in the “Documents to submit section” above.
The system will allow only one attachment. Therefore, please upload all required documents as one file.
Failing to submit any of these documents may result in disqualification of the application.
Please note that shortlisted candidates might be interviewed.
If the deliverables are not produced and delivered by the consultant to the satisfaction of UNDP as approved by the responsible Portfolio Manager, no payment will be made even if the consultant has invested man/days to produce and deliver such deliverables.