Chief Technical Advisor
The main objective of UNDP Djibouti country program is to accelerate the achievement of the sustainable development goals. It tackles the interrelated challenges of development, humanitarian assistance and resilience and seeks to reduce poverty, gender inequalities, geographic inequalities and exclusion.
It promotes environmental sustainability and resilience through integrated strategies. It supports the most vulnerable and strengthens national institutional capacities for inclusive growth, poverty reduction, prevention of violent extremism and strengthening social cohesion.
The 2018-2022 country program is built around three interrelated program pillars that together can drive more catalytic, transformative and systemic changes and help Djibouti achieve its sustainable development goals.
- Strengthening livelihoods and access to basic health services
- Environmental sustainability and resilience to climate change
- Enabling and inclusive governance framework for sustainable development
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide programme development advisory services and develop programmes in the area of inclusive livelihood, sustainability and climate change.
- Oversee and manage the design and formulation of programme proposals and initiatives; Identify programmatic areas for support and interventions;
- Finalize country strategy documents, programme/ project proposals, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to the technical expertise;
- Organize periodic consultations with key stakeholders, human rights experts and UN partners to gather inputs on programme design, as necessary.
2. Manage the implementation and management of the inclusive livelihood and resilience projects
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/ project; provide technical advice; ensure synergies with other team2
- Review the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports as required;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators;
- Lead Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings.
- Advise and prompts action, in liaison with the CO and other relevant staff at the Regional level, in case of under-delivery and lack of/delay of financial planning
3. Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Provide technical advice to partners; oversee the provision of technical guidance by the team
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the portfolio
- Serve as an expert resource to partners
- Implement and oversee capacity building opportunities and initiatives;
- Provide partners with advanced technical assistance, training and capacity development initiatives
4.Manage the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Manage the process of monitoring the programme/ project implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools;
- Finalize quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes;
- Organize and lead the monitoring visits
5. Manage the people and financial resources of the portfolio
- Manage the programme budget and finalize financial reports;
- Manage Technical Specialists as relevant; mentor and coach staff and conduct performance assessments;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
6.Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and develop potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, finalize substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing
7) Manage inter-agency coordination to achieve coherent response in Djibouti
- Provide substantive technical support to the Country Programme Manager on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts;
8) Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Represent UNDP in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to environment and climate change;
- Manage advocacy strategies and their implementation;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning
- Lead the development of knowledge management strategies and methodologies and products as well as information releases in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced University degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) in environment, development economics, climate change or related field, preferably with specialization in resilience building.
- At least 7 years’ work experience in resilient economic recovery, environmental sustainability and capacity development
- Proven experience in programme management and programme implementation,
- Track record of successful resource mobilization from multiple donors
- Proven experience of developing policy documents and managing Multistakeholder coordination platforms
- Knowledge of inclusive and sustainable financing
- Experience of developing and managing crisis response and recovery projects
- Have a great capacity for technical consultations and facilitation of dialogue with national counterparts, and be able to support a positive attitude of work;
- Experience of working in the developing countries
- Previous experience of working with the Government of Djibouti will be an added advantage
- Previous professional experience with the United Nations at the strategic, programmatic and technical levels, particularly with UNDP, is a major advantage;
- Ability to work in an institutional setting with senior government officials, particularly at advisory roles as well as with civil society organizations and private sector.
Language Requirements: Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.