Deputy Director of Programs (National Position)
This role can be based in Bangkok or Mae Sot
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
As the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP), you will provide strategic leadership and management to the IRC’s respected portfolio of programs in Thailand. You will report to the Country Director (CD) and directly manage and mentor a team of seven experienced and dynamic professionals in programs, awards management, partnerships, and measurement. You lead the development, implementation and monitoring of high-performing programs and oversee the management and growth of the IRC’s grant portfolio. With support from your Senior Management Team colleagues, you facilitate the design and realization of IRC’s long-term strategy in Thailand. As a senior leader, you also represent the country program externally, building and cultivating trusted relationships with donors, partner organizations, UN Agencies and Royal Thai Government officials. As a Senior Management Team member, you exemplify the IRC Way Values (Integrity, Service, Accountability, and Equality) and you foster a positive and productive professional work environment within your teams and with others.
Strategic Planning and Program Development
- You will coordinate and lead facilitation of the IRC Thailand’s Strategic Action Plan, implementation, and annual reviews, supporting appropriate program staff to champion key strategic initiatives.
- Provide guidance to the program team regarding tools and strategies to ensure that program development is based on input from our clients, a thorough contextual understanding, and technical best practice.
- Oversee Awards Management, Program, Partnership, and Measurement teams to identify funding opportunities and develop competitive, evidence-based and cost-effective proposals that forward IRC Thailand’s strategic objectives.
- Lead the development and implementation of integrated programming initiatives so that technical sectors complement one another for greater impact.
- Ensures, through consultation with regional, country and operations leadership, that systems are regularly reviewed and in place to support strategic growth.
- Remain abreast of ongoing humanitarian response and funding trends in the region and provide regular updates on these trends and analysis of how they may impact IRC Thailand.
Program Leadership - Management and Quality
- Provide overall leadership and management of IRC Thailand’s programs, ensuring strategically coherent program direction, well-managed growth, and compliance with IRC and donor regulations.
- Ensure routine and responsive technical supervision of program coordination staff in multiple locations in collaboration with IRC technical advisors.
- Drive effective management of program implementation through project cycle meetings; structured work, spending, and monitoring plans; and regular field support visits.Ensure that risks limiting achievement of objectives are reported and rapidly addressed.
- Critically monitor program performance and ‘theories of change’ to ensure progress towards meeting yearly performance goals and the IRC’s strategic objectives.
- Initiate internal reviews and final evaluations, as necessary; identify opportunities for external consultants to help inform the country offices approaches and strategies. Incorporate lessons learned into revised implementation approaches.
- Support Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator and program teams to collaboratively develop and realize effective plans that measure the outcomes of our work, help us learn, and make evidence- based decisions.
- Coordinate with other members of Senior Management Team on appropriate management, compliance and performance standards, as well as effective systems for budget management, knowledge management and risk management.
Awards, Budget, and Partnership Management
- Coordinate with the Program Budget Holders, Awards Management staff and Finance team to ensure sound budget management, expense control and timely contractual documentation.
- Oversee Awards Management Team to ensure quality grants management, compliance with donor requirements and effective grant/program-related information management.
- Supervise all internal and donor reporting ensuring high-quality, well-written and timely reports meeting donor and IRC and partner requirements.
- Ensure routine monitoring visits to implementation sites to ensure donor compliance, fraud prevention and quality program implementation of program teams and partner organizations.
- Ensure engagement with partners aligns with strategic and program objectives and is characterized by clear expectations, sound due diligence, joint commitment to integrity and accountability, a zero-tolerance fraud policy, and mutual respect.
- Promote the IRC’s Partnership Excellence for Equality and Results system (PEERS). Contribute to building a strong understanding of PEERS and ensuring that IRC’s partnership principles, skills and approaches are applied by staff across programs and projects with partners.
- Maintain a sound understanding of IRC Thailand programs and operating context and develop positive working relationship with donors, host government, refugee committees, NGO/UN/IO community, and IRC colleagues globally. As requested, represent IRC at coordination events, invited meetings and official functions.
- Represent IRC Thailand at regularly scheduled meetings that bring together key stakeholders working with displaced persons, including Thai government ministries, NGOs, local service organizations, and relevant UN agencies.
- Serve as focal point for management of official donor and IRC visitors to Thailand as assigned
- Coach, supervise and mentor your team into a high-energy and high-performance team; communicate clear expectations, set performance objectives, provide regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and provide effective semi-annual performance reviews.
- Be an effective manager: hold high-quality meetings with each direct report on a regular and predictable basis; build development plans including on-the-job learning and providing mentorship on career paths; and promote and monitor staff care, well-being and self-care.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, nurturing a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Model and encourage active practice of the principles of the “IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct;” be a champion for Diversity and Gender equality.
- Promote constructive, collegial teamwork between program, operations, and finance staff.
- Work with the Country Director, Deputy Director of Operations, Deputy Director of Finance and Human Resources Coordinator to review/revise and develop appropriate HR policies and address issues.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being and ensure to create systems and practices where work supports life and continuously role model such practices.
Position Reports to: Country Director
Position directly supervises: Senior Awards Management Coordinator, Protection Coordinator, Legal Assistant Center Coordinator, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, Women Protection Empowerment Senior Program Managers, Senior Health Coordinator
Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Senior Management Team, HQ Technical Unit, Award Management Unit, Deputy Regional Director, Measurement Action Coordinator
External: Donors, Government Officials, Partner Organizations