UX designer/Product Manager Consultancy
Democratic Republic of the
The Airbel Impact Lab, the IRC’s research and innovation team aims to design, test, and scale life-changing, cost-effective solutions with people affected by conflict and disaster. With over 70 million people displaced, the world is facing an unprecedented crisis. To address the evolving and growing nature of this crisis requires not just more aid, but new thinking. There is a lack of proven, cost-effective, scalable services for people affected by crisis. In some cases, there is a lack of evidence on what works. In others, evidence shows existing solutions are effective, but we need to find new ways of delivering them at scale in fragile settings. Airbel works to develop breakthrough solutions by combining creativity and rigor, openness and expertise, and a desire to think afresh with the experience of a large-scale implementing organization.
Dela is a remote supervision tool that helps supervisors remotely supervise field Community Health Workers (CHWs) so that they can focus their interactions with CHWs on things that will improve the quality of care given to clients. Due to COVID-19, supportive supervision will be more essential now than ever to ensure that protocols and guidelines are being adhered to, especially as supervisors may not be able to travel out to CHWs to conduct supervision visits. If Dela is found to be a viable application it would revolutionize the way that supervisions of CHWs are conducted and could have a huge impact on the entire community health system, establishing IRC as a leader in transforming community health.
The IRC is seeking to hire a multi talented designer with both experience in user experience and product management. The user experience (UX)/product manager will work with health and research teams across the Democrative Republic of Congo and Liberia as well as a Project Manager, Engineer, Community Health Technical Expert, design advisor and the leading community health software, Medic Mobile.
For the first 6 weeks the team will be prototyping and running lean experiments in both contexts focusing on validating our assumptions around desirability, and feasibility and doing competitive market research. For the following 4 months, we will work with our team to build the Dela MVP.
The current prioritized features are:
- Capture video of CHWs treating clients
- Provide video playback tools to help supervisors assess the quality of care provided in the video
- Prompt templates for supervisors to provide feedback
- Track performance of CHWs on a dashboard
Dela is intended for use by CHWs with low digital literacy and in locations with limited data networks. We envision a Bluetooth-enabled system of data transfer, but like the core pieces of the concept, that has yet to be developed or tested.
The design and innovation lead will be an integral part of our Dela team and will work collaboratively on to drive the vision for Dela at various stages of research and development. Overall the designer/ product manager will be responsible for designing the application experience and working with engineers to prioritize features for build.The designer is responsible for guiding the team’s development of the application based on existing evidence, user research, scalability, and market context. Project outputs vary widely depending on the project stage and user constraints but may include products such as digital automated user flows, clickable mock-ups, service design storyboards, informational design for implementers, short videos or audio, for example.
- Identify user needs and key pain points to solve with the Dela solution
- Develop a list of prioritized assumptions to test the desirability and feasibility of Dela
- Determine user journey and flows to directly work with engineering team to build MVP
- Collaborate with design researchers and program officers in country to plan and conduct customer concept and usability testing, and synthesize user research based on raw findings.
- Work with in country design researchers to develop testing plan
- Create design principles, and prioritize features for product development
- Design visual and verbal identity (per country)
- Develop low and high fidelity product prototypes
- Develop information architecture, user flows, wireframes, and final UI design
- Create prioritized use cases for product development
- Create customer validation activities and concept and usability testing
- Input to service blueprints that connect online and offline experiences
- Oversee CHW recruiting for prototyping, piloting, and implementation with Field Research Coordinator
- Input to all training materials to on-board CHWs
- Experiment design plan, including data collection methods, key performance metrics and prioritized features for testing
- Final Prototype Design Document; including test results, tech stack decision justification, prioritized features for MVP and data results and synthesis.
- Training Materials to ensure Dela’s correct usage and deployment
- At least 3 low and high fidelity product prototypes
- Final UX/UI design including Information architecture, user flows, and wireframes
- Final design document; including product recommendations, analyzed data, test results, pilot plans and all final graphics and iconography.